I think I opened too soon - advice on next steps?

garybtru

Apr 24, 2017
Upstate NY
So I think I messed up and opened my pool too soon... the temperatures here in upstate NY are going to be in the 50's next week. My pool is kinda in limbo - I took the cover off, I installed a new sand filter (which I still need to backwash & rinse once more), there's a bit of algae spots and some rain in the pool, haven't put any chemicals in yet. I did get my TF-100 test kit in the mail yesterday, but it rained on and off all day today.

My question is: Where should I go from here? Should I bother backwashing + rinsing + flipping my filter on 24/7 if the pool is definitely not going to be used for at least the next week or two? Should I bother testing the water w/ the TF-100 if it isn't going to be a sunny day etc? Or should I wait it out and just let everything sit until the next bright sunny day?

Thanks!
-Gary

7g5J04F.png

Now is a good time to start a SLAM because the cooler weather gives you the edge. Once the water gets warm the algae you saw will start reproducing like bunnies.

Try to get a set of test results and make sure you add some chlorine in there. Bring the results back and let us see them.

Sorry about all the rain!!

Maddie :flower:

With that forecast, I'd probably skip it all. There's no point balancing it only to end up pumping out a bunch of water to prevent overflowing. That's chemicals wasted. And speaking of waste, that setting on the multiport takes the whole filter out of the equation, so you can use the pool pump to lower the water level if need be.

*I* would, perhaps a gallon per day and have the pump on to mix it which would bring it up to aprox 4ppm. (in that size pool, 32 ounces of 8.25% bleach is 1ppm)

...and if you get an hour of sun run out and test that cya level!

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.