Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I think I opened too soon - advice on next steps?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question I think I opened too soon - advice on next steps?

So I think I messed up and opened my pool too soon... the temperatures here in upstate NY are going to be in the 50's next week. My pool is kinda in limbo - I took the cover off, I installed a new sand filter (which I still need to backwash & rinse once more), there's a bit of algae spots and some rain in the pool, haven't put any chemicals in yet. I did get my TF-100 test kit in the mail yesterday, but it rained on and off all day today.

My question is: Where should I go from here? Should I bother backwashing + rinsing + flipping my filter on 24/7 if the pool is definitely not going to be used for at least the next week or two? Should I bother testing the water w/ the TF-100 if it isn't going to be a sunny day etc? Or should I wait it out and just let everything sit until the next bright sunny day?

Thanks!
    -Gary

SLAM Chlorine/CYA Chart PoolMath Pool Chemicals
    20,000gal IG Vinyl Pool, Village water
    Hayward S244S Pro 24-Inch Side-Mount 1.5" Sand Filter w/ Sidley Sand
    Pentair SuperFlo SF-N1-1A/340038 1.0 HP Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I think I opened too soon - advice on next steps?

Now is a good time to start a SLAM because the cooler weather gives you the edge. Once the water gets warm the algae you saw will start reproducing like bunnies.

Try to get a set of test results and make sure you add some chlorine in there. Bring the results back and let us see them.

Sorry about all the rain!!

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

With that forecast, I'd probably skip it all. There's no point balancing it only to end up pumping out a bunch of water to prevent overflowing. That's chemicals wasted. And speaking of waste, that setting on the multiport takes the whole filter out of the equation, so you can use the pool pump to lower the water level if need be.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

OOoh, if he can get a CYA reading and if its too high, its a great time to drain a bit and gather rain water for replacement!! You so smart Richard

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

Cool, thanks for the input! I was thinking of at least trying out my test kit but the instructions said to keep it out of the rain.
    SLAM Chlorine/CYA Chart PoolMath Pool Chemicals
    20,000gal IG Vinyl Pool, Village water
    Hayward S244S Pro 24-Inch Side-Mount 1.5" Sand Filter w/ Sidley Sand
    Pentair SuperFlo SF-N1-1A/340038 1.0 HP Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

If you can grab a container of water, take it inside and test there. You can do all the tests inside *except* for the CYA which requires sun at your back outside.

Happy Testing!

Maddie

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    With that forecast, I'd probably skip it all. There's no point balancing it only to end up pumping out a bunch of water to prevent overflowing.
    You would still recommend adding the chlorine to prevent algae from getting worse, right? Maybe not a full SLAM, but some FC to Band-Aid things for the next week.

8. Back To Top    #8

*I* would, perhaps a gallon per day and have the pump on to mix it which would bring it up to aprox 4ppm. (in that size pool, 32 ounces of 8.25% bleach is 1ppm)

...and if you get an hour of sun run out and test that cya level!

Maddie