Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure loss

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure loss

I know this has been addressed but not my specific issue, so thought I would ask the forum and maybe somebody can help. Have been adding DE to sand filter for about 24 hours, backwashing as needed although the pump did run for 5-6 hours at high (+8) PSI before one of the backwashes. Yesterday noticed that the starting pressure dropped 2 points (from 18 to 16) after one backwash.

Today, it dropped all the way down to 12. After backwash it goes to normal starting pressure of 18 but soon drops to as low as 12. Hasnt gone lower than that yet.

Cleaned out pump basket and skimmer baskets but no difference.

Is this a problem or should I just let it run at the lower pressure? And what can be causing this?

Thanks
    Vinyl IG 18x43 25,000 gallon
    Hayward Pro s244T 300 lb Sand (with occasional addition of clarifier)
    1.5 HP pump; Polaris 380 with booster pump; Hayward H400 gas heater
    TF-100 with SpeedSTIR

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure loss

Do you have a lot of debris in the pool, especially pine needles? Long thin things can often slip past the baskets and end up clogging the pump impeller.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I had my son slip his hand into the impeller opening (that is the hole that sucks in water behind the pump basket, right?) and he said it felt clear. Is there any other way to check/clean it out?

And can it run overnight as-is and will check AM or is this potentially harmful to the pump?

- Appreciate the help
    TF-100 with SpeedSTIR

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Eilum View Post
    I had my son slip his hand into the impeller opening (that is the hole that sucks in water behind the pump basket, right?) and he said it felt clear. Is there any other way to check/clean it out?

And can it run overnight as-is and will check AM or is this potentially harmful to the pump?

- Appreciate the help
    Not without separating the motor from the wet end. I don't know for sure one way or the other if it would overheat the pump or not.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Just wanted to close out the thread with an update. Turns out the pump basket was clogged with tiny bits of debris and this was dropping the pressure. Happened a few more times since then and all it took was emptying the basket to return to normal.

Thanks all
    TF-100 with SpeedSTIR