Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: At what point is it safe to be in the water?

1. Back To Top    #1

At what point is it safe to be in the water?

New pool owner here--thanks to all for the advice so far. At what point after opening in the spring is it safe to be in your water? Assuming the water is clear, do you wait to see any specific testing parameters over a period of time before using the pool? Or is it safe to be in once pH and FC are within normal range?
    Viking Coronado IG Fiberglass 13k gallons, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair Cartridge Filter (320 sqft), Pentair Electric Heat Pump (125k btu), Pentair Intellichlor IC20 SWG. TF-100 Test Kit. Located in SouthEastern PA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: At what point is it safe to be in the water?

If you can see the bottom, and pH and FC are in range, you probably won't die from getting in. People swim in lakes without ever testing them, right?

Personally, I like to wait until the water is warm, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

When ph and FC are within normal range its safe. If you are getting more than.5 to 1 of combined chlorimines in your test results you should SLAM and wait until the OCLT has .5 or less.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    If you can see the bottom, and pH and FC are in range, you probably won't die from getting in. People swim in lakes without ever testing them, right?

Personally, I like to wait until the water is warm, too.
    LOL. Great point. Somehow swimming in the lake or ocean never crossed my mind. I prefer it warmer too, but I don't think my labrador will mind the temps much!!!
    Viking Coronado IG Fiberglass 13k gallons, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair Cartridge Filter (320 sqft), Pentair Electric Heat Pump (125k btu), Pentair Intellichlor IC20 SWG. TF-100 Test Kit. Located in SouthEastern PA.