Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pebble sbeen stain, removalble ?

1. Back To Top    #1

pebble sbeen stain, removalble ?

Hello to all,

I'm not sure when this exactly took place, but I was out of town for funeral last week and sometime later I noticed that the net was not picking up what I thought was a small piece of debris/mulch.

The enclosed pic was taken today [May 2] in the aftn. I zoomed in w my phone, and the actual size would be close to a dime or penny.

Any idea on what I can try to remove this? When I brushed the pool on Monday this week, I brushed this area real hard w a stiff bristle brush and nothing.

I appreciate your suggestions and pls let me know if you have any questions?

Thank you very much,
    tstex
    Attached Images Attached Images
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward H400FD 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pebble sbeen stain, removalble ?

There are some great stain experts here and methods to determine what kind of stain it is. I'm sure they will weigh in.

I get a lot of similar stains from acorns and many other things, maintaining good chlorine they all fade away in usually 2 days, maybe 3 max. If it just appeared this weekend and whatever caused the stain is gone, I tend to think it will fade and disappear.
    Greg -
    11K gal, IG Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue) with sun ledge and attached spa, Pentair Intelliflow 3050 VS/SVRS (3HP), Pentair ET 8 with Screen Logic, Pentair Racer with 3/4 HP booster pump, 400KBTU Pentair Mastertemp, Pentair 60 sq ft DE filter, J&J Intellibrite LED in spa, Zodiac Nature 2 (not used), Stenner pump/liquid Chlorine, build completed in August 2015

3. Back To Top    #3

Start with a Vitamin C tablet. If that's a rust stain --- and just one teeny iron filing can do that, guess how I know? -- it will lift it in a minute or two. Just cheap uncoated Vitamin C. You might already have some around the house somewhere. Drop the pill in and push it into position with the brush and wait. Then just brush the dissolved pill away.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Greg and Richard...I will give the V-C a try. Also, the FC levels have been 5-6 over the last couple of days...maybe a few more is needed.

Does a higher or lower pH have any bearing on a stain-removal? Thank you
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward H400FD 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by tstex View Post
    Thanks Greg and Richard...I will give the V-C a try. Also, the FC levels have been 5-6 over the last couple of days...maybe a few more is needed.

Does a higher or lower pH have any bearing on a stain-removal? Thank you
    Not in your case. You just have a single spot, not huge discolored patches. If it's organic -- leaves and whatnot -- then it will fade naturally over time with normal FC levels.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Every now and then a pebble with iron gets into the pebble mix. We had one a couple of years ago. PB dug it out with a screwdriver and filed the hole with pool putty.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you guys for your feedback.

If CL over time is a cleaner, then when I add my 8.25% bleach, would it be advisable to pour directly into this area?

Next, re a pebble having some iron, how long would it take to manifest, or is there a specific timetable or completely random.

We are out of V-C tablets so off to the store...would nail polish or facial mask materials work?

8. Back To Top    #8

LOL!! I think it is pretty random. Mine took like 4 years.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

AND THE WINNER IS:

Vit-C tablet. Unbelievable !!! Thank you so much guys...a stain on my 2.5 yr pebble sheen was really bothering me.

I pulled up my sleeve and took the tablet and just rubbed it over the spot and 90% of it immediately went away...after rubbing it a bit more, it's not even noticeable. I can assure you that the Vit-C tablet was WAY CHEAPER than many other products. I'm assuming the ascorbic acid neutralizes ferric oxide. Now my pool will be immune to infections for a day w 1000MG of Vit-C.

Thanks again - this is a great forum and if you are not a member, you need to join - tstex

10. Back To Top    #10

I get these all over my pebble sheen pool. Just got rid of 11 recently. I just drop the Vit-C in the pool and push it over the stain with my pool pole. Come back 15-20 minutes later and it is gone with no scrubbing. The side walls are a little tricky if you don't want to get in the water. I hate that these pop up.

30,000 Gallon Pool IG (Pool 18' X 38' / Spa 7' X 7') - Pentair IC40 SWG - (1) Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST Pump - Pentair DE FNS-Plus 60 Filter - Pentair Mastertemp 400 Heater - Pentair Easytouch 8 - Pentair Electronic valves - Pentair 5G Color LED Pool/Spa Lights - Pebble Sheen Mini Tahoe Blue - Auto Fill/Over Flow - Taylor K-2006C - Completion 3/2016.