Quartz finish on my new Spa developed big micro cracks on the steps

LynnV

May 2, 2017
Ketchum, ID
Our in-ground 8x10 spa was installed this past Fall of 2016 with a dark blue/gray quartz finish. The people doing the plaster work finished late afternoon and neglected to bring a hose, so it was empty until they filled it the next day, late morning. This was at a home we were building so no one was living there, but we happened to come by and talk to the plaster guy both days. The spa has 2 full width steps across the 8' side. As he was filling the spa the next day, I noticed some tiny spider cracks on the top step. He explained that they can form when the finish dries too fast without water, however he said it wasn't too long without water and they would close up when the water was fully filled. After the water was in, I didn't notice them so I didn't worry about it. The pool contractor did not come by to check the plaster job at all. Since we are out of town, they had local people brush and handle the chemicals all through the winter.

Mid-winter we noticed that the cracks on the step had gotten much bigger and very noticeable and we also saw them to a lesser degree on the lower step. There was also staining and in random places. The pool contractor's supervisor came and agreed that it looked bad and said in the Spring they would acid wash it and also the steps needed to be replanted.

2 weeks ago they brought back the same plaster guy and we were told by our home builder that he ground down the surface of the steps and then filled in the cracks. The plaster guy said this would work instead of re-plastering. The spa again stayed empty for several days (5 or 6) because they broke a tile and had to obtain new material for that. I saw photos of the step and could still see the cracks before they got filled. Now I hear that the color he filled with doesn't match will and the pool contractor is going to have him re-do.

I'm sorry for the long post, but I want this done right and my gut feeling is telling me that these steps should be chipped out and re-done. The plaster guy is now saying that there will always be micro cracks and you normally don't see them with white plaster, but they show up more with the darker colors. We have held back the final payment due to this issue, but the job is 95% paid for. I don't know if what he says is true or not. I never envisioned seeing cracks in my steps of a new spa. Plus we paid more for the premium quartz finish. I don't want to accept this only to potentially have to replaster down the road and then have to argue about who pays for it. I need advice as to what I should expect and if this micro cracking is due to a bad plaster job, or not getting water into the spa quick enough, or if the plaster contractor is giving us some BS and the pool contractor is going a long with it so he doesn't have to re-do. I just don't know what is the truth here.

All advice is appreciated and I can upload photos if there's a way for me to do that here. Thanks.

I have a sad for you :( BUT this is something that is best left between you and your builder.

I will tell you to document all communications with your builder. Get it all in writing.

I hope it works out best for you.

Kim TFP MOD

Plaster certainly does crack normally but yours might be excessive. Posting a couple of good pics will elicit some opinions.

Ultimately, you and PB have to come to some resolution. You are wise to have maintained some financial leverage.

Register your warranty with the plaster manufacturer, if you haven't already, and ask them to come out to evaluate it. Companies like SGM and Pebbletec have online warranty registration and are generally very willing to help homeowners resolve plaster issues with their products. Including forcing the installer to chip out and replaster the pool if needed.

If the plaster guy was able to fill the cracks with any amount of plaster material, then the "cracking" was severe and unacceptable.
Further, that has nothing to do with whether it was color plaster or white plaster.
Waiting to fill the spa over-night should not been a problem, unless the air temperatures were above 100 degrees.
I suspect other material/workmanship issues may be the cause of the cracking, and now, according to your post, there is some staining or discolorations. Please describe the stain/discoloration.

If you could post some original pictures, that would help with a proper assessment of how bad it might be.

I need to explain better and provide more information. I am often too brief.
Other than hot weather, shrinkage cracks of plaster surfaces can be caused by adding too much water and also calcium chloride to a plaster mix.
Another way to put pressure on the contractor is to mention that you can have the plaster analyzed for its water and calcium chloride content.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.