Will this timer work with my pump?

Appledapple

Apr 30, 2017
Stuarts Draft, Virginia
First, I'm so glad I found this site! When we bought our house last spring, I was dreading having to learn how to take care of the pool on top of unpacking and taking care of the kids. I muddled through it and quickly learned the importance of staying on top of pool maintaining (and how quickly the water can turn green!). I've gone through Pool School, ordered my TF100 kit, and am feeling better about being able to maintain the pool without having to rely on what the pool place tells me.

I was told last summer that I should run my pump 24 hours a day, and that it would only add about $20 to my electric bill. I was in shock when I got my bill! I blamed it on the air conditioner, but once the pool was closed, the electric bill went way down. Now that I know about pump timers, I'm trying to figure out which voltage/wattage I need. I just want a timer to turn the pump on and off every four hours. Would this Intermatic T100 Series http://www.homedepot.com/p/Intermat...tch-with-Outdoor-Enclosure-T104RD89/203569316be compatible with my Hayward pump? I've attached an image with the pump specs.

Attachments

• IMG_2505.jpg
    IMG_2505.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 27
Apple,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners with huge electrical bills. :shark:

Yes, that timer has been controlling pool pumps like yours for years..

I suspect your current pump costs you about $5.00 a day to run 24/7..

With a single speed pump and no Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) you should not need to run more than 8 hours a day. And maybe a lot less than that.

We have a number of people here that only run their pump 3 hours a day.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Go look in the main electric panel (or a sub panel). Hopefully the electrician labeled the circuit. Yeah right! Well. Look for the label. Look at the breaker. If it is a single breaker it is 120 volt. If there are two breakers tied together with a handle tie, or a 2 pole breaker then you are wired for 240 volts. You can try to check the motor itself., usually there is a jumper for 240v or a completely separate set of wires. The way it's wired depends on what you have. 120/240 v. Take some pictures of the panel. Or the wires at the pump. Go get a Intwrmatic ET1725 it's $150 or so but it's a 7 day electronic time clock and you can select whatever voltage you need. Sure it's a bit more than the 104 at $49 (I'm an electrical contractor). But you have more flexibility. But what the guy above said is correct on the part numbers. The wiring diagram is in the cover. It an easy diy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They covered the technical stuff, but let me add that you can buy additional timer dogs to set multiple on-offs in a day. Intermatic Replacement Trippers for T100 Series Timers-156T1978A - The Home Depot

If you play with things, you'll probably discover you can get by with even less than 12 hours filtration per day. Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

FWIW, I have my pump running only 2 hours a day right now. Might go up to three when things really warm up. But I did put an extra "off" dog on. Sometimes I manually run the pump when I'm vacuuming or dosing early in the morning outside the regularly scheduled time, and if I forget to go kill it after the chems have mixed, it won't run all day long

Richard. You need a 7 day time clock. The 104 is a 24 hour time clock. So an extra dog will only let you run it at specific times during the day. I get what you say. The clock I suggested is 7 day multiple voltages so you just need to read the directions when you hook it up. I'm not trying to be a Duce bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.