Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM frustrations

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM frustrations

I have experience with SLAM's, as I had to do 2 of them last season. This year I let the pool go green over the winter, and started my SLAM on April 15. My numbers for overnight loss are trending down, but my losses during the day are going up. I realize that sunlight will impact the loss during the day, but I am losing an average of 0.20 ppm at night, and an avg of 0.45 ppm during the day. This equates to about 2.0 loss at night, and over 5.0 during the day. Am I correct in my thinking that based on my numbers above, of the loss of 5 during the day, 2 of it is due to the algea, since that is what I lose at night, and the other 3 is due to the sunlight? It is just frustrating because the water has been crystal clear for 2 weeks, yet I have been in the SLAM for 3 weeks and still not able to pass the OCLT.

Also of note, I am not able to check throughout the day, only once at around 7:30 AM, and again around 6.
    27k gal, IG vinyl, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, Liner 3 yrs old, Intermatic PF1103T Timer w/ Freeze Protection, K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: SLAM frustrations

What does your water look like? You're brushing? And no visible algae?
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Water has been clear for several weeks now. When I brush, I can see nothing. There is some sediment or something that accumulates in same spot daily, but it just clouds and goes away when I brush. Here is a video of that Pool Sediment - YouTube

27k gal, IG vinyl, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, Liner 3 yrs old, Intermatic PF1103T Timer w/ Freeze Protection, K-2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, I tried vacuuming that stuff to waste, and it comes back in same spot next day.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The "sediment" is most likely dead algae.

Can you post a current set of test results, please
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I think a good starting point would be to confirm your CYA level again and make sure you are SLAMing at the right level. The key also is to maintain the SLAM level of FC for your CYA level as much as possible.

If you are only dosing in the morning and then at the end of the day (which is the way life goes) it could be that the FC level is spending more time below your SLAM level than not.

If you get an opportunity to test at least another time during the day and redose that would be great. You might also want to consider going just a little higher than your SLAM level when you redose in the morning.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

A loss of 2.0 FC overnight rules out UV losses from sunlight.
    I'd look at all the usual hiding places for algae: lights, ladders, and steps.

Check the pictures in these threads.
    Problem Found and Ideas needed
    Water problems
    Think I may have found my FC demand issue?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    The "sediment" is most likely dead algae.

Can you post a current set of test results, please
    pH: 7.5
    FC: 13
    CC: 0
    TA: 60
    CH: 90
    CYA: 35

I was about to add 180oz 8.25 bleach to bring FC back to 18. I see my shock FC based on pool store CYA test of 45 because I was out of the reagent. Then about 2 weeks into the SLAM, I got a refill and my own test came in at 35. So far I have left the shock target at 18, but it really should be 14.

9. Back To Top    #9

Actually my FC is 13.5 not 13

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Yeah, Thanks for those tests! Very helpful. It appears to me that you are doing everything correctly so now you just need some patience. I would keep the FC at 18 as much as possible.

With you DILIGENTLY keeping the chlorine up. I think your SLAM will soon be done. Carefully vacuum that sediment up each day. Getting it out of the pool and into the filter will help.

Once you no longer see that sediment, I would then (and not before then) do another OCLT and see if you pass. You are close........be patient and determined.
    Dave S.

11. Back To Top    #11

So I can vacuum that sediment to filter? I don't have to go to waste? I felt it yesterday and it is not gritty it just feels like nothing.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by cholmes28 View Post
    This equates to about 2.0 loss at night, and over 5.0 during the day.
    I'm in North Alabama and just finished my opening SLAM and experienced those same numbers. I too could only pull a sample in the Am and than the evening when I returned from work, I would add a little extra bleach in the AM and when I returned in the PM went right into getting it back to SLAM levels. In the end it took me 5 days working it this way to pass my OCLT.

PIA but we got to work.
    15,000 gal In-Ground Vinyl, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter w/ 1.5hp Pump , Polaris Cleaner w/ 1hp Pump, Taylor K-2006-C Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

I don't have to go to waste? I felt it yesterday and it is not gritty it just feels like nothing.
    It's dead algae. Vacuuming to waste is fine but consumes a lot of water. I would vacuum it to filter.
    Dave S.