Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Opening--here's my numbers (why didn't TA change?)

1. Back To Top    #1

New Opening--here's my numbers (why didn't TA change?)

Hi All!
    New installation started last fall--IG Viking Coronado (15' x 34'). Been reading on this site all winter in anticipation of taking care of our new pool. Thanks for everyone for sharing their knowledge and expertise.

The fence and sod were put in 3 weeks ago, wife and I have been diligently working on the landscaping, and our builder came by Saturday to open for us. He uncovered it, started up the pump/filter, added 2# of 73% Cal-Hypo, and plans to return later this week to go over a few things.

Here's the initial photo from Saturday:
    IMG_2280.jpg
    I used a leaf rake to scoop out the big leaves left over from the fall, and have been brushing a couple times a day since Sunday. Pump and filter have been running 10a-6p, and appear to be doing their job. Photo from today:
    IMG_2290.jpg

Here's my initial testing (from yesterday):
    FC 5.6, CC 0, pH 8.2, TA 150, CH 300, CYA 50

So I added 32 oz of HCl (32%), as well as 2# CYA via the sock method (according to PoolMath Calculations). I realize the CYA will take a couple days to dissolve, so I didn't retest that today. Also empirically added 1# 73% Cal-Hypo at the instructions of our builder.

My results from today:
    FC 10, CC 0, pH 7.2, TA 150, CH 300

Q#1: Can anyone explain why the TA didn't drop with my addition of acid?

Q#2: I'm planning to use borates for the additional buffering capacity. I have 25# of boric acid sitting here--which should get me around 40ppm according to PoolMath. Do I need to make further pH and/or TA adjustments before adding the boric acid?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Viking Coronado IG Fiberglass 13k gallons, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair Cartridge Filter (320 sqft), Pentair Electric Heat Pump (125k btu), Pentair Intellichlor IC20 SWG. TF-100 Test Kit. Located in SouthEastern PA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Opening--here's my numbers (why didn't TA change?)

Lay off the calhypo. Your pool doesn't need a bit more. Go with bleach only until your SWG is up and running.

Your TA will come down over time. Each time you add Muriatic Acid to the pool to bring down the pH, it will pull the TA down a bit also.
    Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Don't plan on adding borates for a few months... you need to get to know your pool and get its feel with testing before taking that step. And once you do add borates it makes altering your pH and TA more difficult, so hold off.

Congrats on the new pool and upcoming swim season

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

1. The TA test is 10ppm for every drop of the reagent added to a 25ml sample (with TF-100). You really only added enough acid to drop your TA by about 9ppm according to size in your signature and poolmath.

2. I didn't do the math on that one. Use poolmath and go all the way to the bottom and use the feature "effects of adding chemicals." Make sure you have correct gallons plugged in at the top.

And welcome to TFP
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Lay off the calhypo. Your pool doesn't need a bit more. Go with bleach only until your SWG is up and running.

Maddie
    Understood. I thought maybe the builder had a reason for shocking upon opening.
    Now, assuming my CYA is 70 (and until my SWG is up and running), should i target FC to that of manually dosed pools? i.e.

1. Non-SWG recommendation of target FC 8-10 with minimum FC 5, or
    2. SWG recommendation of target FC 5 with minimum FC 3.

Water is looking clear and I don't want to screw this up.
    Viking Coronado IG Fiberglass 13k gallons, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair Cartridge Filter (320 sqft), Pentair Electric Heat Pump (125k btu), Pentair Intellichlor IC20 SWG. TF-100 Test Kit. Located in SouthEastern PA.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by sandman98 View Post
    Understood. I thought maybe the builder had a reason for shocking upon opening.
    Now, assuming my CYA is 70 (and until my SWG is up and running), should i target FC to that of manually dosed pools? i.e.

1. Non-SWG recommendation of target FC 8-10 with minimum FC 5, or
    2. SWG recommendation of target FC 5 with minimum FC 3.

Water is looking clear and I don't want to screw this up.
    Yes. You're running a bleach pool at the moment, so use the bleach FC level.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!