New pool deep end floor drain/skimmer question

Aug 28, 2016
Baltimore Md
Not sure what they are called but the 2 deep end ports that suck water back to the pump; how hard should they be sucking? I ask this because when I'm brushing the pool down it does not seem to suck in the dirt even when I sweep it right on top of it, today I jumped in and put my hands on both of them and can't feel anything, I'm wondering if they left the plugs in and it's getting some water back to pump .
any ideas to check that from above?
the reason I say this is because they had left a plug in the skimmers

If the drain lines are connected to the skimmer it is usually the port closest to the pool. If that is plugged you will get no suction. And if it is connected you will need s skimmer float valve to control bottom suction. Are you sure there isn't a seperate line with a valve for the main drains, if so it would be plumbed together at the front of the pump

They're designed that way, so nobody gets sucked against the drain to drown. Even when I have full suction on mine, I have to brush small debris precisely at an opening or it just skids on past.

Is there a three valve on the intake side (that's the end with the basket with the clear lid) of the pump? If not, it may be teed into the skimmer. Are there two holes in the bottom of the skimmer well, side-by-side? You might be missing the diverter valve. Have you seen anything that looks like this laying around?

lovingHDTV-SkimmerDiverter.jpg

They are direct 2" lines back to pump, I can select the high skimmers or deep end skimmers, I know they are working atleast a little because when i valve off top skimmers the pump is still getting water, I guess it's the design ? There is a lot of debris down in deep end that it won't suck in.

M,

The Main Drains, what you are calling the "deep end skimmers", are not designed to suck up debris. There is just not enough suction.

That is why most pool owners use a manual vacuum unit, some type of pump powered cleaner, or a Robot cleaner.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.