Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Question

Opened up a little earlier this season hoping to not have black water. It's a little cloudy but still blue. Water temp is still at 59. I read that algae shouldn't grow under 60. Am I better off just cleaning out the leaves and stirring up the dirt a few times a day for the filter to clean up the water and waiting until water temp is over 60 before starting to add bleach? Am I wasting bleach adding when the water is so cold?

25x16 rectangular in ground pool with vinyl liner (14,000 gal). Sta-Rite sand filter. 1HP single speed Max-E-Pro pump. Pool owner since 2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening Question

Certainly remove any debris.

No algae below 60 is not an absolute rule. The surface of the pool may get that warm, anyway.

If it was me, I start vacuuming and by the time I was done, the water for sure would be mixed and I could test it and adjust pH and FC right then. If you don't have algae, and the water is cold, you lose hardly any FC. Even here in sunny SoCal, in January and February I might only lose 2 or 3 FC in a week!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Opening Question

Thanks!

25x16 rectangular in ground pool with vinyl liner (14,000 gal). Sta-Rite sand filter. 1HP single speed Max-E-Pro pump. Pool owner since 2013.