Step (Riser) height

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
We're having our front steps and landscape redone. Average risers are 7 3/4" I believe. Our front are 8". The hard scaper wants to go with 6" rise, most likely due to the height of the blocks he intends to use. Our entire steps/landing/and porch are concrete, but would be replaced with block and cap stones.

Anyone fine 6" to be low? I guess for a pool area it makes sense, but my front steps?

It currently takes 6 steps, then your 7th step is the landing, the you turn and walk up 3 more to the porch.

The new set will take 9 to get to the landing,then turn and perhaps 4 to to the porch. All will be the same height, as they are the same stone.

1" is considered a trip hazard; 2" is almost as bad as 1"; 4" is considered a luxury step; 6" is nice; 7" is getting close to too high; 8" is pushing it at the max rise for outdoor steps. Steps aren't like a speeding limits...the higher you go does not equal the faster you'll get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, the ratio of the rise to run is very important if you shorten the rise. It will also shorten the run to fit it (depth of each step) and can create another problem too. 11" would be the shallowest step I would make outside. 12-14" would be ideal depth. I would rather have an 8" rise with a 14" depth that a 6" rise with a 9 or 10" depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yes, the rise would be 6", the tread 12". We're adding 2 steps, due to the run, but we have plenty of landing left. What a freakin mess these builders created with the grade. Ours is the second worst in the development. My neighbors bought their house new and got reamed. they were told their property was flat, but it's the highest! They have at least 12, 8" steps before their first landing. At least 12. Crazy...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.