Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner looking for input

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner looking for input

I'm looking for an automatic suction cleaner that will work with my setup. I just moved into a house with a ~20,000 gallon pool, and I consistently get sand and dirt on the bottom. No trees nearby, it's all fine debris for the most part. My parents' pool growing up was probably closer to 30,000 gallons and they had a kreepy krauly that seemed to do fine, but the trouble was keeping suction. They would need to turn the main drain off and keep the skimmer low, while having the vacuum suction all the way open. The trouble with mine is - I don't have a way to turn the skimmer down and I don't have a main drain. I have a valve that controls the vacuum suction. Would I be better served using the skimmer on full with the adapter while turning the vacuum suction (port?) off, or will that not generate enough suction?

Also, will a suction cleaner like the kreepy krauly even be the best option for my 20,000 gallon pool? Most people point to robots, but they're so expensive that I don't know if I want to pull the trigger on one considering I just converted to salt water + installed a new liner + next year I will likely have to replace the entire pump and sand filter system due to the builders using cheap knockoff equipment. I may be pushing $10,000 on all this within 2 years if I go for a robot as well. There is also a booster pump already in the system, but it sounds like it's on its last legs whenever I turn it on so I doubt it's usable for long. All input appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner looking for input

Welcome to TFP, Revans

Can you post a picture of your equipment pad and the pool? That might help us figure this out together.

Also if you could go up top to "Settings" and the drop down list will show you "Signature" please tell us everything you know about the pool: dimensions, size, equipment, how you sanitize, etc. That helps folks answer too.

Do you have an electric outlet near the pool? That would be a go/no go on the robot discussion.

How are you testing your water? Are you sure that what you're seeing is sand and not algae? Does it feel gritty or blow away like dust when you try to pick it up??

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd start pricing a booster pump. Spread it out some.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Welcome to TFP, Revans

Can you post a picture of your equipment pad and the pool? That might help us figure this out together.

Also if you could go up top to "Settings" and the drop down list will show you "Signature" please tell us everything you know about the pool: dimensions, size, equipment, how you sanitize, etc. That helps folks answer too.

Do you have an electric outlet near the pool? That would be a go/no go on the robot discussion. Yes I have multiple outlets by the pool, including one by the pump itself.

How are you testing your water? Are you sure that what you're seeing is sand and not algae? Does it feel gritty or blow away like dust when you try to pick it up?? I'm using the Taylor K-2006 and K-1766 test kits. All readings have been fine (aside from water hardness being 140 ppm, but from what I've read it's not a huge issue with vinyl pools). The sand/dirt definitely blows away, but I haven't been able to actually get into the pool yet this year to determine if it's gritty. I believe the sand in the filter needs to be replaced, could I be getting sand from that in my pool? There's no sand near the pool and I don't even live near the beach.
    Hi Maddie! I've uploaded about 20 pictures at the following link: http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/revans1691/library/ I've also updated my signature with what I know. The pump and sand filter are originals and have lost their ID badges, but the pool guy I had over said they were knockoff brands that were designed to look like Hayward. The original builder of the pool likely had several in their shop and they were much cheaper than the name brand. The pump has already burnt up once, luckily covered by my home warranty. See the answers to your questions in red above!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    I'd start pricing a booster pump. Spread it out some.
    How much do those typically run? Worth it to get that and a good pressure cleaner given all the other equipment I still need to get, or am I better off just getting a ~cheaper suction cleaner for now until next year when I can revamp the whole system?
    20,000 gallon vinyl IG | PureChlor Salt System | Unknown (Hayward knockoff) Sand filter | Unknown (Hayward knockoff) Pump | Old school fiberstar light

5. Back To Top    #5

Gotta love a deep pool that allows for slides (deep enough for diving!) Yay!

LOL your filter looks like a painted pumpkin, doesn't it! It is hard for me to determine much from the equipment pics though.

As for cleaners, this little robot is $399. Of course it doesn't climb walls but it has good reviews otherwise. Not a lot more than a pressure side cleaner and it doesn't need a pump!
    Doheny's Kleen Pool Cleaner For Sale | Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast

Is the booster pump only for a cleaner? A robot will mean you don't need to buy one.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

6. Back To Top    #6

Gotta love a deep pool that allows for slides (deep enough for diving!) Yay!

LOL your filter looks like a painted pumpkin, doesn't it! It is hard for me to determine much from the equipment pics though.

As for cleaners, this little robot is $399. Of course it doesn't climb walls but it has good reviews otherwise. Not a lot more than a pressure side cleaner and it doesn't need a pump!
    Doheny's Kleen Pool Cleaner For Sale | Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast

Is the booster pump only for a cleaner? A robot will mean you don't need to buy one.

Maddie
    I assume the booster pump is only for a cleaner. I like the robot idea, do you know anything about it's longevity? The kreepy krauly I was looking at was <$300, so getting a decent robot for ~$100 more might be worth it as long as it'll last a few years.
    How can I better get pictures of the equipment? All the labels on all the equipment are worn off. Do you mean just the overall makeup and where different pipes go?
    20,000 gallon vinyl IG | PureChlor Salt System | Unknown (Hayward knockoff) Sand filter | Unknown (Hayward knockoff) Pump | Old school fiberstar light

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Do not buy a booster pump. pressure side cleaners are fading as robots take over the industry. Limp along with a suction side if you want but save your biucks for a robot. $700 will get you in on a robot for that 20k pool and you will never look back.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Duraleigh suggested ditching the pressure cleaner and getting a Robot to me when I was building, and it was the best single thing I did on my build. He also advised that $$$ equals cleaning power, and that was spot on. I spent a good deal, but still feel I got every pennies worth and now going on season 4 with mine. Couldn't be happier.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Do not buy a booster pump. pressure side cleaners are fading as robots take over the industry. Limp along with a suction side if you want but save your biucks for a robot. $700 will get you in on a robot for that 20k pool and you will never look back.
    Thanks for the input. I was researching robots and came across the Nautilus, but I'm confused on the model #'s. I found a 99996113-US and a 99996116-US that are seemingly identical. What is with the naming conventions?? https://www.poolsupply4less.com/Dolp...9996113-us.htm https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/...N4whoCURTw_wcB

I have no idea where the different model #'s come in.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Think of buying a mattress and then you will understand pool robot marketing.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Think of buying a mattress and then you will understand pool robot marketing.
    I was looking at the S200 or the Active 20, but I've read in some threads that the dual brushes can cause an issue with vinyl. Is this true? The Nautilus with CleverClean has 1 brush, while the S200 is the same basic design as the Nautilus but has 2 brushes.

12. Back To Top    #12

yeah, I think too that I've read that one brush is enough for vinyl.

Check this little guy out-

Doheny's Saturn Powered by Dolphin-Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast

13. Back To Top    #13

yeah, I think too that I've read that one brush is enough for vinyl.

Check this little guy out-

Doheny's Saturn Powered by Dolphin-Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast
    I was looking at that one. It seems to be the Doheny equivalent of the Dolphin Nautilus which also has 1 brush, which I've found for $565 shipped. I don't want to tear up my brand new liner if I can help it!

14. Back To Top    #14

Yeah, they do seem to be twins. That's a good price, I'd grab it. I've been real pleased with my Doheny Discovery.

Maddie