Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Above Ground Pools to Put In-Ground?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Above Ground Pools to Put In-Ground?

Hello. I currently have a metal-sided above ground pool that was dug into the ground. The metal walls have rusted, the liner is busted, and the whole thing needs to be replaced. Ideally I would buysomething that fits the existing hole and just re-trim the decking around it.

I've been looking at the soft-sided above ground pools, but am running into a few problems:
    1. Where to purchase? The online retailers I have contacted do not take credit cards, and am I hesitant to lose the consumer protection that comes with using a credit card when having such a big purchase delivered to the house. If the delivery never comes or the product is not as described, court will be my only recourse. If you have a soft-sided pool, where did you purchase it and would you recommend the retailer? What about the pool itself, are you satisfied?

2. How to install? Some manufacturers say not to backfill, others say it shouldn't be a problem. Some say build a retaining wall, some say not to bother. What is the best way to make sure the pool lasts? Once the decking is around it, making any adjustments is not going to be easy.

3. Maybe a metal-walled pool makes more sense? If we have to build a retaining wall anyway, the rusting that happened with our existing pool shouldn't be a problem this time around. It looks like the metal-walled pools are a little less expensive and available from retailers I am familiar with.

I appreciate any advice or guidance you can provide!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best Above Ground Pools to Put In-Ground?

The only company I've ever seen that as a feature was Radiant Pools. I can't vouch for them in any way though- just know the brand.

Radiant Pools |
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

I just buried my sharkline extruder 28".
    15'x30'x54" semi inground sharkline extruder 5000, 12,000ish gallons, Hayward EC65A DE filter, auto pilot digital nano+ PPM2/PPC2 manifold SWCG, Aquacal T115 heat pump, 1.5hp pump, hard plumbing, k-2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Doughboy is another option, albeit pricey. Also, The Pool Factory offers a number of semi-inground options as well (Ex. Saltwater X000 series) at very competitive price points, with good reviews to boot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Radiant pool
    27' Radiant Metric, 17,100 gallons
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5hp 220v
    Circupool RJ45, Sand Filter, Borates
    Dolphin DX6 Robotic cleaner
    TF 100 Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Just out of curiosity, how old is the pool you are replacing?
    21' x 52" Round Above Ground. (Buried 2') AquaPro 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 19" Sand filter, Hayward inline chlorinator.
    Hayward H200 millivolt NG Heater, SunQuest 2 x 2'x10' Solar heater.