Trouble keeping my FC high enough..

G

Since I did the stain treatment 4 weeks ago, I really have been able get my FC to hold.
I have been adding about 4oz of sequasol stain away per day. Could that be part of the problem?

Here are my latest numbers:

FC: 3.4
TC: .1
PH: 7.2 (purposely kept it low for stains)
TA: 90
CYA: 55
CH: 230
Water looks sparkling clear..

I have never shocked the pool since doing the stain treatment as recommended for keeping stains away.
Also, there is lots of cotton getting into the pool from the trees.

Is it possible algae is trying to form and that's keeping the FC down?
Should I go ahead and do a shock? Should I go ahead and increase my PH?

I'm gettng tired of going through so much bleach eveyr week.

I would not increase the PH. 7.2 is fine.

4oz of sequasol stain away per day is too much. Usually the dosage is somewhere around that much per week. The sequestrant will often, but not always, use up a little chlorine.

Since it has been 4 weeks, and you believe there is extra chlorine demand, shocking the pool is a good idea. However, you should do it "gently" this first time since the stain treatment. If possible, work your way up to shock level over a couple of hours, keeping an eye out for any new stains. If the stains start to reappear, stop adding chlorine and instead add some extra sequestrant.

Thanks for the sound advice, Jason. I will do a gradual shocking.
10PPM enough, or higher?

Since the ideal level for PH is supposedly around 7.4-7.6, what would be the drawbacks of a lower PH.
Is the water not as comfortable to the skin?

I ended up putting in 3 Gallons (384oz of bleach) into the pool last night. I added it over a 3 hour period, and tested once in between. After two gallons, my FC was still only 9. Added the third gallon and ran pump for an hour before retiring for the evening. First thing this morning it was at 11PPM..

Last year at this very same time of year, I had an unexpected ammonia problem. hmmmm, I might do an ammonia test when I get home if the FC is not holding at a fairly high level.

That sounds about right. Last year, I was putting massive amounts of chlorine in and could never get it to hold for more than an a half-hour.

JasonLion said:
You don't have any ammonia at this point. If you had ammonia, all of your FC would vanish in an hour or two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.