Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool motor needs replacing again, am I being scammed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool motor needs replacing again, am I being scammed?

So I purchased the home 4 years ago this July. I've used the pool for 3 seasons total and the first summer I got use out of the pool the way it was but everything was pretty old. The company I use opened the pool the following year and the pump motor was seized. I wanted to convert to salt so I had them basically replace everything (pump, filter, had a heater installed and some automation for the salt and attached spa). That summer ran perfect.

Last summer's opening was problematic. The company must have sent their B team and they left the filter head set to Closed when they turned on the system. The guys left before the head blew from the pressure and since nobody was home, it started draining my pool well below the skimmer boxes. I have a main drain but thankfully the timer was set to turn off before I got home so I only lost half my pool water instead of all of it. The company was good about replacing the filter head, refunding the cost of the opening and replacing the salt I lost due to the draining. At the time, I asked if this would have had a negative effect on the motor since the skimmer boxes were pulling air (only the main drain pulled water) and they insisted it was fine. Barring the incident, the motor ran fine all season again and the same company closed the pool.

I decide to give the company another chance this year since they did right by the situation (and they're still the cheapest option in the area) but I'm now being told they tried to fire up the system and motor is seized. The motor that lasted two seasons. The motor that was running at the end of last season. I asked the guy about a warranty since he installed the parts two years ago but he said the motors are warrantied only for 1 year but he would replace it at cost. I asked him about the incident from last year but he again insisted that wouldn't have been the problem.

So as a guy who doesn't know what to believe I'm here to ask: Am I being scammed or did I just get unlucky with the motor and sometimes they just fail (unfortunately)? Do I have any recourse? And what would you expect the distributor cost of a new motor to be for a 40,000 gallon in-ground pool?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool motor needs replacing again, am I being scammed?

Take a picture of the informational plate on the motor and post it here.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I had them replace the motor since I needed the pool open today. Looks like they took the old one. I know I got a Hayward 1.5 Super Pump when the original was replaced 2 seasons ago. I'm attaching pics of the new motor and general plumbing setup.
    IMG_2462.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg

4. Back To Top    #4

When a pump runs dry for too long, it can cause damage to the seal and if then starts to leak, it can cause problems with the motor bearings.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

No warranty? It should be 2 years.

6. Back To Top    #6

I looked at the UST1152 which I'm guessing is what was on their the first time and they have a 12 month warranty sadly. If this one goes in 2 years I'll find another guy.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Many pool companies leave pumps and other equipment outside all winter - which I don't think is a good idea, especially for pumps.

Moisture inside electrical motors can cause corrosion and all kinds of problems to the electronics.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

My last pump (before the Pentair Superflo in my signature) was a 1.5 HP Hayward SuperPump. I left it out all year, it got covered with leaves, etc.

What finally was the end of it was when the outside case of the motor rusted out completely.

With the Superflo - I have the plumbing with unions so I can disconnect it, and I re-did my electrical so it has a 250V 20 AMP plug / recepticle setup so disconnecting the power is as easy as unplugging a lamp. With this setup - when I close the pool - the pump goes into shelter and still is in nearly new condition after 3 or 4 seasons of use. The power is of course grounded with a dualpole GFCI breaker and an Intermatic dial timer. There is also a dual pole switch out there for turning the pump off when changing filter settings, etc.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

You can buy that motor all over the Internet for about $150, so if they're going to do it for their cost it should be less than that.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks everyone for your replies, I will wait and see what the invoice is.