Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwash Help

Is it normal when you backwash your sand filter to have dirty water coming out and back into the pool? Please help I just replaced the multiport and spring handle. Did I possibly put it on backwards please help

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwash Help

No it's not normal. Did you rinse after the backwash and before setting it back to filter?
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Backwash Help

Quote Originally Posted by Ronseth1234 View Post
    Is it normal when you backwash your sand filter to have dirty water coming out and back into the pool? Please help I just replaced the multiport and spring handle. Did I possibly put it on backwards please help
    No.

Before we start condemning the multiport valve, let's ask about technique. Did you backwash until the water looked clear? Did you set the valve to rinse afterwards? If either answer is no, then there was likely some dirty water still in the plumbing that just got pushed back into the pool, and I doubt you'll make that mistake again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!