Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing in new pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing in new pump

Hi all,

I'd like to discuss some options for installing my new pump, and would love the community's feedback.

First, a picture of the current setup with the 1HP SuperPump.

pump view.jpg

The new pump (MaxFlo VS) manual states that give my 1 1/2 pipe size, I should have 7" of straight pipe before entering the pump.
    Ideally I'd like to get rid of the two 90 elbows that I currently have.

As I see it, The easiest solution would be to purchase a similar valve, and just use half of it, along with some new piping to mate with the new pump, though this doesn't remove the elbows.

I was also thinking that I could just come up out of the ground, use a 90, then run straight into the new pump, though the pump would be sitting at a 45 degree angle.

In general, one challenge I see is that the first coupling on the pipe coming out of the ground is very close to the ground. If I cut it at this point, I'm not sure I can get another coupling on with the space I'll have.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or options that others may have.

Thanks

Overall view of the pad
    PoolPad.jpg
    13K gal 18'x36', IG vinyl, Hayward MaxFlo SP23520VSP Pump, Hayward pro series sand filter, Hayward Aquarite SWG, Raypack R266 NG Heater, Dolphin Premium (S300i) Robot, Custom controller (in progress)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing in new pump

If you have extra space to the left of the heater, move the heater 10-15 inches to the left, then move your pump further back and you would eliminate one elbow. You would have to run new longer flexible tubing to the heater and filter. Also you can eliminate 3 elbows on the SWG and heater if you keep the flexible tubing long enough. If you really need to eliminate the elbow on the suction side of the pump, run flexible tubing from the ground, lap around the filter and into your pump. That would give you more than the 7 inches. Im no engineer but someone can chime in and calculate headloss before and after the changes.

good luck
    Felipe
    7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!

3. Back To Top    #3

Unfortunately, I can't move the heater, it's plumbed in with rigid gas line.
    13K gal 18'x36', IG vinyl, Hayward MaxFlo SP23520VSP Pump, Hayward pro series sand filter, Hayward Aquarite SWG, Raypack R266 NG Heater, Dolphin Premium (S300i) Robot, Custom controller (in progress)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kolcun View Post
    Unfortunately, I can't move the heater, it's plumbed in with rigid gas line.
    In gas elbows don't matter much as pressure does. You can add elbows to gas line!

7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Tivo View Post
    In gas elbows don't matter much as pressure does. You can add elbows to gas line!
    Plumbing gas lines is a different comfort level than PVC water lines.

As to the original question- I don't think you'll even notice a difference in operation by removing those two 90s. I'd add a straight piece on the end currently threaded into the pipe and call it a day.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the input, I got it installed and it's running well.