Thru wall skimmer help

Both gaskets are the same, they are square. I have read that with the Hayward skimmer you get a butterfly gasket. With the one I have I don't. So do I use both or just one. If it's just one does it go on the inside of pool or outside.

Yes, both *are* square, but I note that larger holes in each gasket are on different sides and thinking that this orientation *might* indicate something *is* different about them.

Did you watch the video? It mentions the gasket but I forget if its one or two. My internet is too slow this morning for me to pull up YouTube and watch it again to confirm.

Maddie :flower:

I have a Hydro Tools 8940 skimmer. It came with 2 gaskets. I keep reading I only use one, I just want to make sure before I do anything. My pool is full to where I want the skimmer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks:)
Welcome to the forum.

If both gaskets are identical, I would install one on the inside, and one on the outside.

Where do you 'keep reading to only use one'? The installation instructions say to use both.

swimline said:
3. Skimmer Housing Installation procedure:

a. Select one of the 8905 hose adapters and screw into the bottom of the skimmer housing using the Teflon tape.
Caution, these are pipe threads and over tightening can crack the housing.

Never use any type of glue or sealant on these threads.

b. Place one of the 8946 skimmer gaskets on the 8919 skimmer face, making sure that the holes in the gasket align with the holes in the
skimmer face.

c. Align the skimmer face and gasket with the drilled holes in the wall panel and fasten with two pan head screws. These are the 2 short
screws in the 8947 hardware set. The holes are located on each side of the housing and are the middle hole in the set of the 3 holes
on the right and left sides.

d. Install the vinyl liner according to the swimming pool manufacturer’sinstruction.
Do not cut any holes in the liner at this time. Fill the
pool to approximately 2" below the return fitting before proceeding to the next steps. Adjust the liner as necessary as pool is filling.

e. Align the second 8946 gasket and face plate and fasten tightly to the skimmer face with the 10 remaining stainless steel Philips
head screws.

f. You should have a sandwich of materials between the face plateand the skimmer housing as follows: the 8919 Face plate, 8946
gasket, the vinyl liner, the metal wall panel, 8946 gasket and finally the skimmer housing.

g. Connect the filter hose on the suction side of your filtration unit to the 8905 hose adapter on the bottom of the skimmer housing. Secure with a hose clamp.
Cut the vinyl liner along the inside edges of the face plate with a razor blade or sharp knife.

http://swimline.com/swimline/8940 Instructions_Eng.pdf

They are both the same. I must of had them turned in different directions. I watched the video but they were installing on a metal pool mine is vinyl. Also the skimmer they used had the butterfly gasket. I guess I should of got the Hayward. I wouldn't being having this headache.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it is anything like mine was, you might want to screw the faceplate to the skimmer once before you install it. My screws were VERY hard to hand tighten and I didn't lower the water enough to feel comfortable using my drill/screwdriver.

Well I did it yay!!!!!! I think I was getting confused by others post because I think they only received one gasket that's why they cut it. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• IMG_3827.jpg
    IMG_3827.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3822.jpg
    IMG_3822.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3821.jpg
    IMG_3821.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 57
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.