Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thru wall skimmer help

1. Back To Top    #1

Thru wall skimmer help

I have a Hydro Tools 8940 skimmer. It came with 2 gaskets. I keep reading I only use one, I just want to make sure before I do anything. My pool is full to where I want the skimmer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    16'x48" Intex Ultra Frame Pool 5600 gallon
    2100 gph intex sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thru wall skimmer help

From what I can see, one gasket is landscape shape and the other portrait.

Perhaps you just pick the one that matches how you plan to line up and install the skimmer panel.

Maddie

Addendum: Look what I found for you! How to Install an Above Ground Wall Skimmer Return Fitting - YouTube
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Both gaskets are the same, they are square. I have read that with the Hayward skimmer you get a butterfly gasket. With the one I have I don't. So do I use both or just one. If it's just one does it go on the inside of pool or outside.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, both *are* square, but I note that larger holes in each gasket are on different sides and thinking that this orientation *might* indicate something *is* different about them.

Did you watch the video? It mentions the gasket but I forget if its one or two. My internet is too slow this morning for me to pull up YouTube and watch it again to confirm.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Vickey82 View Post
    I have a Hydro Tools 8940 skimmer. It came with 2 gaskets. I keep reading I only use one, I just want to make sure before I do anything. My pool is full to where I want the skimmer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Welcome to the forum.

If both gaskets are identical, I would install one on the inside, and one on the outside.

Where do you 'keep reading to only use one'? The installation instructions say to use both.

Quote Originally Posted by swimline
    3. Skimmer Housing Installation procedure:

a. Select one of the 8905 hose adapters and screw into the bottom of the skimmer housing using the Teflon tape.
    Caution, these are pipe threads and over tightening can crack the housing.

Never use any type of glue or sealant on these threads.

b. Place one of the 8946 skimmer gaskets on the 8919 skimmer face, making sure that the holes in the gasket align with the holes in the
    skimmer face.

c. Align the skimmer face and gasket with the drilled holes in the wall panel and fasten with two pan head screws. These are the 2 short
    screws in the 8947 hardware set. The holes are located on each side of the housing and are the middle hole in the set of the 3 holes
    on the right and left sides.

d. Install the vinyl liner according to the swimming pool manufacturer’sinstruction.
    Do not cut any holes in the liner at this time. Fill the
    pool to approximately 2" below the return fitting before proceeding to the next steps. Adjust the liner as necessary as pool is filling.

e. Align the second 8946 gasket and face plate and fasten tightly to the skimmer face with the 10 remaining stainless steel Philips
    head screws.

f. You should have a sandwich of materials between the face plateand the skimmer housing as follows: the 8919 Face plate, 8946
    gasket, the vinyl liner, the metal wall panel, 8946 gasket and finally the skimmer housing.

g. Connect the filter hose on the suction side of your filtration unit to the 8905 hose adapter on the bottom of the skimmer housing. Secure with a hose clamp.
    Cut the vinyl liner along the inside edges of the face plate with a razor blade or sharp knife.

http://swimline.com/swimline/8940%20...ctions_Eng.pdf
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

They are both the same. I must of had them turned in different directions. I watched the video but they were installing on a metal pool mine is vinyl. Also the skimmer they used had the butterfly gasket. I guess I should of got the Hayward. I wouldn't being having this headache.

7. Back To Top    #7

I read that also. But their instructions are for a metal pool. Would it be the same for a vinyl pool? I have read it from a couple difference forums on here where they only used one.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I recommend you use both gaskets.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok. I am about to go do it here in a little bit.

10. Back To Top    #10

<May the Force be with You> *Ohhhhmmmmm* <--Maddie sending good vibes your way for a good outcome.

We might need a picture after, ok??

Maddie

11. Back To Top    #11

If it is anything like mine was, you might want to screw the faceplate to the skimmer once before you install it. My screws were VERY hard to hand tighten and I didn't lower the water enough to feel comfortable using my drill/screwdriver.
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes that is how I did it.

13. Back To Top    #13

Well I did it yay!!!!!! I think I was getting confused by others post because I think they only received one gasket that's why they cut it. Thanks for all the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Back To Top    #14

Yay!!! Proud of you!

Maddie

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Great job!

Dom - TFP Guide

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks