SARASOTA, Fl
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I have a roughly 15 year old pool with all original equipment. It sits in the FL sun and it's worn out. I have at least 2 leaks, one of which is from the pump and I want to replace the filter, pump, and all pad side plumbing. Currently I have a 1.5 hp Whisperflo pump, Triton II sand filter, booster pump for pool cleaner, Aquarite SWG, Heliocol heater going up one floor on to the roof with manual valves all with 2" plumbing.

I don't use an automatic cleaner running off the booster pump and have a robotic cleaner, so I don't intend on replacing the booster pump. I was going to re-plumb the fittings in just in case I ever decided to use it, but from what I have read the robotic cleaners are much better so any reason to add the booster back in?? I want to replace the Whisperflo with a Superflo VS pump and 150 or 200 sq ft Clean and Clear Cartridge filter both from Pentair. I plan on adding Solartouch to the solar setup so it can automatically open and close. Currently I have two Intermatic mechanical timers. One goes to the booster pump, but as I said I am not replacing it so that will sit empty and unused. The other controls the current pump and the Aquarite SWG. My thought was to continue using it to turn the SWG on and off and move the pump over to the always on side of the timer....any issues with that (aside from ensuring the SWG only turning on during the on time of the Superflo)??? I will get the cable from Pentair that allows the Solartouch to ramp up the Superflo when it's in use, aside from that the pool is pretty simple and I don't think I can justify any automation. The pump can take care of itself, the Solartouch will manage the heater, and the SWG will run on the mechanical timer.

So my questions are....
1. Anything I am missing with the above setup??
2. Sound like reasonable equipment choices?? any suggested alternatives??
3. What size filter should I be looking at?? I have had suggestions between 100-200 from various sources.

Thanks in advance...this site has been a great resource learning about all the different options and general pool maintenance. See below for attached pics of current setup.

IMG_20170430_162337482.jpg - Google Drive
IMG_20170430_162340414.jpg - Google Drive
IMG_20170430_162325765.jpg - Google Drive
IMG_20170430_162331530_HDR.jpg - Google Drive
IMG_20170430_162334366_HDR.jpg - Google Drive

I see I can upgrade to the Suntouch for about $100 more than the Solartouch...just not sure what advantage that would give me. I have no other accessories to turn on or off aside from what is listed above, so does it make more sense to stick with the Solartouch?

ath,

Welcome to TFP.... A Great resource for all pool owners with worn out pads... :snorkle:

I see no reason to install the old booster, but it could not hurt to re-plumb the pipes and cap them off. This way you could add it back later if necessary.

The bigger the filter you get, the less often you will have to clean it. The 200 is the smallest I would go.

Your overall plan sounds good to me.

Also.. no matter what pump you buy always use pump unions to install it. Since you are redoing the whole pad, I'd ditch the pavers and pour a solid concrete pad for all your new equipment.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim!! I have been googling a lot last few days and almost always leads me back to this site...tons of information.

I was looking at those pics and I may replace all plumbing except this leg Untitled - Google Drive that way I don't have to replace the SWG unions or the flow sensor tee. If a problem develops down the road, fairly simple to cut out and replace if needed. As you can see in the pic...the booster is already capped off, so will just be removing it and securing the electrical in that area. So would just be replacing all the pump/filter side plumbing up to just past the solar ball valves. I believe the new pump comes with unions, but if not will definitely put them in.

I like the idea of a concrete pad for aesthetics...but I am in the middle of a landscape redo on that side...the plan is to put either lava or river rock all around the equipment...so will hide most of whatever underneath. What other advantages would the concrete have??

ath,

The pad is just a personal thing.. for me, it makes the equipment look like it is supposed to be there and not just stuck there by happenstance. It also get the equipment up and out of the dirt and weeds. but it not a requirement of any kind.

I did notice that if you went with the Suntouch, it can control the IntelliFlo and the SWCG which would allow you to do away with the time clocks..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Equipment ordered....went with Superflo VS, Suntouch, and 200 SQ ft Clean and Clear cartridge filter. Hoping to install next weekend.

Any secrets..tips to empty a sand filter quickly?? Scooping out sand through that tiny hole seems like a nightmare.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.