Pouring Chlorine

MarkTX

Bronze Supporter
Nov 15, 2015
Cypress, TX
I am sure there are about a thousand posts on this, but when I joined it was not clear.

Pouring chlorine. We need to do it slowly. But how slow?

You do not want the bottle to "gurgle" when you pour. That means you have left no air gap, and it will splash.

IMO, the perfect pour is like pouring crisco oil, no gurgling and no splash. But it does not splash because you have left an air gap and it is silent. And it is quick! 20-30 seconds max.

Well I should add, that is with your pumps turned on. Never want to add chems in stagnant water.

I have never added bleach and MA closer than 15 minutes apart. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ohh geez -- I've never given it the slightest worry about of creating free CL2 gas from dosing bleach and HCl too closely together. By the time I've tossed the bleach bottle aside and measured out a pint HCl, that acid is going in. :stirpot:

Seriously, there's far more CL2 gas coming from my bucket of trichlor pucks -- I open that sucker up and there's a green haze in it and I have to immediately move away...

I usually add bleach to the spa overflow spillway while the water is running. The shorter fall reduces splashing and the side of the spa is conveniently located for resting the jug while tipping it. The churning effect from hitting the pool should disperse the bleach quickly enough.

If I'm being honest, I just pour it in. I have a measuring bucket that I pour my bleach in to make sure I get the correct amount, and then pour it in the deep end. I don't have a side return jet, but have my in floor jets running

I have also poured it directly in the skimmer, but pouring it in deep end with pump on is easier for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.