Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pouring Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Pouring Chlorine

I am sure there are about a thousand posts on this, but when I joined it was not clear.

Pouring chlorine. We need to do it slowly. But how slow?

You do not want the bottle to "gurgle" when you pour. That means you have left no air gap, and it will splash.

IMO, the perfect pour is like pouring crisco oil, no gurgling and no splash. But it does not splash because you have left an air gap and it is silent. And it is quick! 20-30 seconds max.

Well I should add, that is with your pumps turned on. Never want to add chems in stagnant water.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pouring Chlorine

More here about adding chems to your pool.
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Two minutes seems excessive. My arms are worn out. But not arguing, slower is def better.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTX View Post
    Two minutes seems excessive. My arms are worn out. But not arguing, slower is def better.
    There is what we say ... and then there is what we do in our own pools
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Interesting....why is slower better?
    ~22k gal (36' x16') IG concrete pool with vinyl liner.
    3/4 HP Hayward Pump. Hayward EC75A DE Filter
    Laars Lite 2 Heater. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    https://www.facebook.com/domenic.emi...09148469284789
    Binghamton, NY (Upstate)

6. Back To Top    #6

Mixes better, does not settle against the pool surface potentially causing damage.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

You can float the bottle in the water while pouring.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    there is what we say ... And then there is what we do in our own pools

TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I have never added bleach and MA closer than 15 minutes apart.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

I've never waited more than 5 adding them both, which is more often than not.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    I've never waited more than 5 adding them both, which is more often than not.
    Shhhhhhhhhh
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Ohh geez -- I've never given it the slightest worry about of creating free CL2 gas from dosing bleach and HCl too closely together. By the time I've tossed the bleach bottle aside and measured out a pint HCl, that acid is going in.

Seriously, there's far more CL2 gas coming from my bucket of trichlor pucks -- I open that sucker up and there's a green haze in it and I have to immediately move away...
    ~john
    24.5K G, pebble, SuperFlo VS 1.5, 48sq DE filter, Hayward H250FDN, Autopilot RC-52, Poolvergnuegen & 3 daily swimmers in season.

13. Back To Top    #13

I usually add bleach to the spa overflow spillway while the water is running. The shorter fall reduces splashing and the side of the spa is conveniently located for resting the jug while tipping it. The churning effect from hitting the pool should disperse the bleach quickly enough.
    25k IG / Plaster / Built Jul'16 / Spa with Spillway into Pool / Originally filled with trucked in city water, maintaining level with rain water / Polaris 280 Sweep / Jandy Pro Series EPump a& CV 580 Cartridge Filter / Aquacal Heat Pump / AquaLink Control Panel w/PDA / TF-100 Test Kit / 2 Yellow Labs swimmin' all the time

14. Back To Top    #14

That seems like a keen idea, good to know. But my spillover is flagstone, which I have been told can be discolored by bleach. But it does sound convenient and practical.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTX View Post
    That seems like a keen idea, good to know. But my spillover is flagstone, which I have been told can be discolored by bleach. But it does sound convenient and practical.
    Extremely unlikely I think.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

16. Back To Top    #16

Maybe unlikely, but someone here with 8000+ posts said otherwise, so can't be sure. Anyway, PERFECT weather this weekend here in TX Don't forget to call your moms, this is Mother's Day.

17. Back To Top    #17

If I'm being honest, I just pour it in. I have a measuring bucket that I pour my bleach in to make sure I get the correct amount, and then pour it in the deep end. I don't have a side return jet, but have my in floor jets running

I have also poured it directly in the skimmer, but pouring it in deep end with pump on is easier for me.
    16,000 gallon in-ground pebble tec pool. Hayward SP3400VSP Eco-Star Pump, Pentair Triton 2 TR-100 sand filter, A&A 5-port in-floor pool cleaner, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color changing pool light, Polaris 965iQ Robotic Pool Cleaner, OG Pool Math Subscriber and most importantly a Taylor K-2006C test kit.
    Test Kits Compared
    | SLAM | Chlorine / CYA Chart |