Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction Pool Cleaner Recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction Pool Cleaner Recommendation

I've had our pool open at the new house for the first time this season a few weeks ago. It is surrounded by lots of neighboring flora, and I've been having to constantly hand vacuum lots of little tree tassles, as well as a bunch of dead algae from its prior closing. Seems I have to vacuum nightly or the debris comes back. Any recommendations on a good suction cleaner that can pick up small tassles and leaves, as well as do the job of getting all of the dead algae out finally?

Just FYI the FC isn't low, it's actually been too high for a little while now due to my new use of a solar blanket for the past couple of weeks.

I'm not looking for perfect, so budget options are welcome. I'm still happy to hand vacuum it a few times a month, just don't want to be doing a multi-week vacuuming if I can avoid it.
    Last edited by SouthernHiker; 05-01-2017 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Clarity
    [*]21,000 Gallons, In Ground Pool, Vinyl Liner[*]Sand Filter, AO Smith 3/4 HP Pump Single Speed 110V[*]Goldline Aquarite Salt Water Generator, Turbo Cell 9.[*]Pool is filled from municipal water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suction Pool Cleaner Recommendation

This is who I use BUT it does say it is for above ground pools. I am not sure it will work for you having an in ground pool. I love her and she has done a good job for me for many years now!

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-900-A...e+pool+cleaner
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

This is what I have for my pool. I've had to play with getting the suction balance correctly (cleaner is attached to a dedicated suction line, skimmer off, main drains turned down) so as to get enough suction for it to work correctly without it climbing up the sides and sucking air.

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-K6043.../dp/B00C7UEK0C
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence t-9 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

4. Back To Top    #4

How about a robot? They work a lot better than suction or pressure cleaners do. Here is one good option, Doheny's Saturn Powered by Dolphin-Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    How about a robot? They work a lot better than suction or pressure cleaners do. Here is one good option, Doheny's Saturn Powered by Dolphin-Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast
    Quite a difference in price though! $400 more for the robot. Ouch.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence t-9 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Flbeachluvr View Post
    Quite a difference in price though! $400 more for the robot. Ouch.
    You can either buy a robot now, or do what I did and spend less now, and then buy a robot, thereby spending more. Save money, buy a good robot now.
    In Ground Pool, ~40k gallons, Pebble Tech, Intelliflo iQ60 SWG, RayPak 406 Gas Heater, Sand Filter, Variable Speed pump, seems to get alot of sun, but no debri. built in 2006. TFT XL Test Kit, with SpeedStir. Water from hose March.2017 used to fill FC=0, pH=7.2, CH= 375-400, TA=240.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ramsfan View Post
    You can either buy a robot now, or do what I did and spend less now, and then buy a robot, thereby spending more. Save money, buy a good robot now.
    Maybe it depends on the size of the pool, if it's screened or if there are a lot of trees around but I know many people here who have the suction cleaners and they've done just fine. No intention or need to shell out all that money for a robot. As you can see from my signature my pool is only 8800 gallons and the suction cleaner works just fine for me. I guess it depends on what the OP is looking to spend.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016

8. Back To Top    #8

You are 100% correct, I am just stinging from my investment in a suction cleaner, that did not work well due to my pool shape.
    In Ground Pool, ~40k gallons, Pebble Tech, Intelliflo iQ60 SWG, RayPak 406 Gas Heater, Sand Filter, Variable Speed pump, seems to get alot of sun, but no debri. built in 2006. TFT XL Test Kit, with SpeedStir. Water from hose March.2017 used to fill FC=0, pH=7.2, CH= 375-400, TA=240.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the suggestions. I am likely to only be at this location for one season, so I don't want to buy into a robot.

My pool only has a skimmer suction and two "jets, so not sure if the one above would work.

Welcome anymore suggestions??

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHiker View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am likely to only be at this location for one season, so I don't want to buy into a robot.

My pool only has a skimmer suction and two "jets, so not sure if the one above would work.

Welcome anymore suggestions??
    You can use the one I recommended without a dedicated suction line. You just plug it into the skimmer.

Pool completed 3/21/2016

11. Back To Top    #11

This forum is very robot biased, and turns many suction side cleaner questions and problems into - " buy a robot they are better." which depending on your pool and debris may or may not be true.

Ive had very good luck with suction side cleaners and they work well for my debris size.

Suction sides are typically limited by a smaller debris opening,
    If you dont have a booster pump the polaris 360 return side pressure cleaner will work with large debris and no dedicated pump.

I can recommend the Zodiac G3, or if you have a more powerful or VS pump a Zodiac T5 is a very aggressive mat style cleaner.

Everything has its issues and no one design works in every pool.

Im now trying an MX-8 which I will report on in few months time.

UD
    20K Gallon Gunnite pool/900 Gallon in ground Spa/2HP WhisperflowSpa
    Pentair Master temp 400/Hayward Sand WZeobrite/Jandy RS-8 Aqualink/Jandy 2HP Epump
    12 - 4x10 Panels/Zodiac G3-T5 / BBB

12. Back To Top    #12

This forum is very robot biased, and turns many suction side cleaner questions and problems into - " buy a robot they are better." which depending on your pool and debris may or may not be true.
    Guilty! I admit I do love my robot and I was sick of my old pressure cleaner not working correctly. Thanks for helping out.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

I am running a The Pool Cleaner suction cleaner. It requires about the least amount of flow to work and thus I can divert a good portion of the suction to keep skimming (I have a separate vacuum port).

I think Hayward has a copy of it now too ... actually I think Hayward bought them out.

I do not like the Kreepy or similar due to the constant thumping.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

The pool cleaner is a great cleaner.
    Works on big pools and gets to the shallow end reliably.
    Probably one of, if not the best wheeled suction side cleaner.

The wheeled or tracked cleaners have many more moving parts and require wheel,track, and gearbox repairs over time and in my experience always take a bit more power than mat cleaner to drive the gearboxes.

The mat cleaners only have one moving part thats cheap and easy to replace.
    These thing exemplify the KISS principle.

I feel the mat type cleaner clean better than the wheeled type because the mat actually touches the bottom of the pool and drags along physically giving it a light brushing whereas the wheeled cleaners only actually contact the pool surface where the wheels touch - a much smaller actual contact surface areas - with the exception of the MX 8 with the rotating brushes which doesn't seem to have the reliability reputation the pool cleaner has.

My Zodiac products are quieter than my Kreepy Products but still thump a bit- with a VS pump its almost inaudible when I turn it down.

Robots are cool toys for sure, and can choke down some serious debris and leaf clumps that would choke a suction side in an instant.
    In my environment I have continuous influx of very fine powdery debris from the nearby 10/405 interchange, this extremely fine powdery debris passes through the finest bags where as the suction sides get it out of the pool and into the filter. My DE and zeo for the last 5 years catch and hold this dust.

Happy cleaning!

UD
    20K Gallon Gunnite pool/900 Gallon in ground Spa/2HP WhisperflowSpa
    Pentair Master temp 400/Hayward Sand WZeobrite/Jandy RS-8 Aqualink/Jandy 2HP Epump
    12 - 4x10 Panels/Zodiac G3-T5 / BBB