Pump--Strange Scraping Sound?

Sep 5, 2007
Every now and then our pump will make a strange scraping sound, it lasts for a few minutes and then it stops. It's pretty loud and repetitive, but it usually stops on it's own or I can turn the pump off and start it up and no sound. I would say it's doing it a couple of times a day. Is something getting ready to break?

Welcome to TFP - madms1!!

While it's possible that that is what's going on, it's also possible that some sand or grit is getting into the impeller :)

This is the biggest (IMO) problem with answering pool questions on the net - we aren't there and therefore can't see nor hear the problem, so we end up guessing as to what's really going on :evil:

Please don't get me wrong, I think you are probably correct as to what's happening :mrgreen: - but... there are other options as to the problem - we just need to ask a few questions and receive a few answers to 'nail' this down 8)

L2w, see if it isn't the motor seal itself (check for water dripping under the pump)and please provide us with a little more info, if the underside of the motor/ pump housing is dry :-D

We CAN help you through this :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.