Just opening pool and first time to post with question.

Aug 31, 2014
Lincoln, NE
Which problem to I address first??

FC .4
CC 12.5
pH 7.5
TA 350
CH 270
CYA 0

Using 3" pucks to add chlorine and CYA

12000 gallons IG vinyl June 1, 2005 Lincoln, NE
Pentair high rate Tagelus sand filter Pentair 1hp single speed pump (WFE-4/011513)
Pentair MiniMax NT Heater & Pentair Legend Pressure Side Cleaner
Cover-Pools Automatic Pool Cover
Taylor K-2006 Test kit

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Your elevated CC level is most alarming. Possible ammonia issue. I would recommend the following:
- Stop the chlorine tabs; we recommend regular bleach for chlorination (FC).
- Lower pH slightly to 7.2
- Very important: Increase FC to "10" and re-test in 10 minutes. If it stayed above 5, that's good! Add your prescribed stabilizer to increase CYA to "30" per the Poolmath calculator. However, if the FC dropped below 5 in those 10-minutes (bad), increase FC "immediately" with bleach and retest in another 10 minutes. Continue this process until FC holds over 5. You need to confirm the FC will begin to hold on its own between 5-10 ppm for at least 10 minutes.
- Once you pass that 10-min drill, you can now add stabilizer to the water (CYA of 30) and increase FC to "12".

From there, follow the SLAM process (link below). Let us know if you have any questions.

Welcome! :wave:

Which problem to I address first??

FC .4
CC 12.5
pH 7.5
TA 350
CH 270
CYA 0

Using 3" pucks to add chlorine and CYA

12000 gallons IG vinyl June 1, 2005 Lincoln, NE
Pentair high rate Tagelus sand filter Pentair 1hp single speed pump (WFE-4/011513)
Pentair MiniMax NT Heater & Pentair Legend Pressure Side Cleaner
Cover-Pools Automatic Pool Cover
Taylor K-2006 Test kit
First thing: double check your math. You're either testing FC & CC with 25 ml water which will give you results that end in even numbers, or you're using 10 ml and things will end with zero or .5. I see both, so something ain't right. There's a testing error, a math error, or a typo.

Doublecheck everything and then we'll prioritize. By the way, how does the water look? Clear, murky, cloudy, green, thick enough to walk on? Any visible algae anywhere?

First thing: double check your math.
Good point Richard! I overlooked human error. So gbeattie, if you find your FC and CC numbers were incorrect in your first post, we may disregard that 10-min drill. Post back and let us know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fair enough. Before you add the stabilizer for a CYA target of 30, I would still encourage you to first lower the pH to 7.2, then do that FC 10-min test. Increase it and retest after 10 minutes. Hopefully it will be good (hold) on the first try, then you can add stabilizer after that and move on. But if that FC crashes at 10 minutes, you know to repeat and continue until holds. From that point forward, it's all about maintaining the SLAM. Good luck!

Took awhile to get pH down. I'm in my second 10 minutes. FC went up .5 to 1.5 CC went up to 7.5

Now in my fourth 10 minute cycle. FC coming up slowly. So is CC reading.
I keep reviewing the test directions and am sure I am doing it right.

Took awhile to get pH down. I'm in my second 10 minutes. FC went up .5 to 1.5 CC went up to 7.5

Now in my fourth 10 minute cycle. FC coming up slowly. So is CC reading.
I keep reviewing the test directions and am sure I am doing it right.
I may as well give you the bad news: it sounds like Ammonia. Not sure the exact process, but CYA can sometimes break down into Ammonia, and it takes a whole lot of bleach to neutralize it. Just keep adding 10 FC over and over like you're doing. At some point, CC rise will slow or stop and FC will stay close to 10. That means you've eliminated it and can proceed normally with the SLAM Process.

attachment.php

Could he have put something in this spring?
Who knows right? Pool maintenance teams have their own way of taking care of a situation. Not that they are all bad, but some simply don't know any better. Still, consistent bleach applications will take care of it. Once you break through that "wall" of sorts and can get the FC to begin to hold between 5-10 for at least 10 minutes, then you know you've made some progress with whatever is fighting the bleach. Hang in there!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.