Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just opening pool and first time to post with question.

1. Back To Top    #1

Just opening pool and first time to post with question.

Which problem to I address first??

FC .4
    CC 12.5
    pH 7.5
    TA 350
    CH 270
    CYA 0

Using 3" pucks to add chlorine and CYA

12000 gallons IG vinyl June 1, 2005 Lincoln, NE
    Pentair high rate Tagelus sand filter Pentair 1hp single speed pump (WFE-4/011513)
    Pentair MiniMax NT Heater & Pentair Legend Pressure Side Cleaner
    Cover-Pools Automatic Pool Cover
    Taylor K-2006 Test kit
    Pentair high rate Tagelus sand filter Pentair 1hp single speed pump (WFE-4/011513)
    Taylor K-2006 Test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just opening pool and first time to post with question.

Hello and welcome to TFP! Your elevated CC level is most alarming. Possible ammonia issue. I would recommend the following:
    - Stop the chlorine tabs; we recommend regular bleach for chlorination (FC).
    - Lower pH slightly to 7.2
    - Very important: Increase FC to "10" and re-test in 10 minutes. If it stayed above 5, that's good! Add your prescribed stabilizer to increase CYA to "30" per the Poolmath calculator. However, if the FC dropped below 5 in those 10-minutes (bad), increase FC "immediately" with bleach and retest in another 10 minutes. Continue this process until FC holds over 5. You need to confirm the FC will begin to hold on its own between 5-10 ppm for at least 10 minutes.
    - Once you pass that 10-min drill, you can now add stabilizer to the water (CYA of 30) and increase FC to "12".

From there, follow the SLAM process (link below). Let us know if you have any questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by gbeattie View Post
    Which problem to I address first??

FC .4
    CC 12.5
    pH 7.5
    TA 350
    CH 270
    CYA 0

Using 3" pucks to add chlorine and CYA

Taylor K-2006 Test kit
    First thing: double check your math. You're either testing FC & CC with 25 ml water which will give you results that end in even numbers, or you're using 10 ml and things will end with zero or .5. I see both, so something ain't right. There's a testing error, a math error, or a typo.

Doublecheck everything and then we'll prioritize. By the way, how does the water look? Clear, murky, cloudy, green, thick enough to walk on? Any visible algae anywhere?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Will check the math. Pool water is greenish clear. Can see down about 3-4 feet.
    Taylor K-2006 Test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

First thing: double check your math.
    Good point Richard! I overlooked human error. So gbeattie, if you find your FC and CC numbers were incorrect in your first post, we may disregard that 10-min drill. Post back and let us know.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

Must have mixed my apples and oranges.

FC 1
    CC 5

- - - Updated - - -

FC 1
    CC 5
    Taylor K-2006 Test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm thinking you still have them reversed?
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

8. Back To Top    #8

gbeattie, are you confident in the last FC/CC test in post #6? To follow-up on Richard's question, what is the condition of the water? Also, is there any strong or unusual smell coming from the water?

9. Back To Top    #9

There is no odor. Pool is clearing up and I can see down over 3 feet.
    I double checked everything and still get 1ppm FC and 5ppm CC.
    Taylor K-2006 Test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Double checked everything.

FC 1
    CC 5
    Taylor K-2006 Test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Fair enough. Before you add the stabilizer for a CYA target of 30, I would still encourage you to first lower the pH to 7.2, then do that FC 10-min test. Increase it and retest after 10 minutes. Hopefully it will be good (hold) on the first try, then you can add stabilizer after that and move on. But if that FC crashes at 10 minutes, you know to repeat and continue until holds. From that point forward, it's all about maintaining the SLAM. Good luck!

12. Back To Top    #12

Took awhile to get pH down. I'm in my second 10 minutes. FC went up .5 to 1.5 CC went up to 7.5
    Pool is nearly clear.
    Taylor K-2006 Test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Took awhile to get pH down. I'm in my second 10 minutes. FC went up .5 to 1.5 CC went up to 7.5

Now in my fourth 10 minute cycle. FC coming up slowly. So is CC reading.
    I keep reviewing the test directions and am sure I am doing it right.
    Taylor K-2006 Test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Can you try to post a picture of the test with a white background? Just curious

7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!

15. Back To Top    #15

Now in my fourth 10 minute cycle. FC coming up slowly. So is CC reading.
    I keep reviewing the test directions and am sure I am doing it right.
    I may as well give you the bad news: it sounds like Ammonia. Not sure the exact process, but CYA can sometimes break down into Ammonia, and it takes a whole lot of bleach to neutralize it. Just keep adding 10 FC over and over like you're doing. At some point, CC rise will slow or stop and FC will stay close to 10. That means you've eliminated it and can proceed normally with the SLAM.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Pumped 3/4 water out of pool last fall to reduce CYA.

Pool installer always opens and closes pool. Could he have put something in this spring?
    Taylor K-2006 Test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Could he have put something in this spring?
    Who knows right? Pool maintenance teams have their own way of taking care of a situation. Not that they are all bad, but some simply don't know any better. Still, consistent bleach applications will take care of it. Once you break through that "wall" of sorts and can get the FC to begin to hold between 5-10 for at least 10 minutes, then you know you've made some progress with whatever is fighting the bleach. Hang in there!

18. Back To Top    #18

Nine gallons of 10% chlorine. Out of chlorine and out of reagent in new test kit.

Reload tomorrow and start over.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what to post. Test is either pink or clear.
    Taylor K-2006 Test kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Not sure what to post
    I think this sums it up.

20. Back To Top    #20

Nine gallons of 10% chlorine. Out of chlorine and out of reagent in new test kit.

Reload tomorrow and start over.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what to post. Test is either pink or clear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast