Bromine hot tub

Mar 29, 2007
Ontario, Canada
my little 300gal soft tub seems to be consuming a lot of bromine. I use the 2 part bromine solution when i want to boost the level and have a floater going the rest of the time. Last year I had the floater almost closed and was able to keep a 6ppm level of bromine, this year its almost wide open and I find I have to keep boosting the reserve with the 2 part solution more often, like every 3-4 days. Last year it was like once a month. The tub is being used a little more often this year but can that account for the increase in consumption... I currently use the MPS shock.

One thought... is there such thing as "expired" bromine tabs... I notice that the tabs don't smell as strong as the last batch. Could that be the reason why the floater doesn't seem to be working as good as before? and no, I don't make it a habit to sniff all my chemicals :lol:

I hadn't replied sooner b/c I'm not one of those super-experienced knowledgeable folks. I *think* the bromine tabs can lose their potency over time.

Maybe you've already gotten your question answered from another source! If you haven't already, I'd suggest buying a small container of bromine tabs and see if the new ones work better. . .

Jules

Thanks for the reply, I think it is a bad set of tabs because they really don't smell that strong when you pull the floater out... the last batch I had had a really strong odor... and if the water from that dripped on you, your hand would smell of bromine for a long time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.