Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello All!! Question about my sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello All!! Question about my sand filter

Hello my name is Pam. I am new to the forum...although I have been reading it for a while.
    I live in the metro Atlanta area. We use our pool from June - Sept. We purchased our house 3 years ago. We have a 30-35k gallon
    inground pool with a vinyl lining. My questions are about the sand filter. I know that the entire sand system was replaced as well as the pool lining in the fall of 2013.
    My questions are:
    do you think I need to change out the sand in the filter at this point?
    are there any other components within the sand filter that needs inspecting?
    Our water is always clear, I backwash once a month (not sure if that is too often).
    I read that the sand should be changed every 4-6 years, and I have also read that the sand never needs changing.

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello All!! Question about my sand filter

You never need to change the sand, but you may be interested in cleaning the sand in the filter. You can find easy to follow instructions on this site (or on Youtube).

The pressure filter is the only item I've ever replaced on my sand filter (two times in 5 years). Only backwash when the pressure goes up.
    18,400 gallon 28' round above ground pool sand filter 2013 K-2006 2014 new Hayward pump 2018

My pool turned green the second year, K-2006 saved me, Trouble Free Pool set me free

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hello All!! Question about my sand filter

Backwash when filter pressure rise 25%. They actually clean a little bit hen a little dirty. Leave the sand alone! (unless you want to deep clean_)
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!