Should I updgrade to a SC-48

Apr 27, 2007
My SC-36 cell died after 3.5 years. I have a 15,000 inground. I live in Phoenix so the cell is used year round, so I am trying to decide if I should upgrade to the SC-48. I am not sure if 3.5 years was the average life span of a SC-36. I know for the first year I didn't understand pool chemistry as well as I do now and I think I may the cell work harder then it needed.

Any thoughts..is it worth the extra money to updgrade?

Poolsean said:
It's worth it to upgrade to the largest cell you can afford.

I second that. I have one rated for a 40,000 gallon pool on my 14,000 gallon pool. I run it at 15-20% and keep ~5 ppm (i also run my filter pump 12-15 hours a day). So thats an "on" time of about 2 1/2 hours per 24 hours. I have some friends who have a SWG thats barely big enough and run the output nearly full out for 10 hours a day and still has trouble keeping up.

Lots of variability in output, pump run time, etc. But, from my limited experience and anecdotes from others, get the biggest one you can.

Overall the pool shops I called all agreed, they don't recommend the SC-36 for our area. Since most people run their pools year round and its much better to buy the SC-48 for a 15,000 gallon pool. It also turns out to be only $100 more than a SC-36.

Thanks for the input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.