Added chlorine - instantly cloudy

bill2

Apr 5, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
Hello everyone,

My pool water was very clear before adding about 1.5 gallons of chlorine today. I thought I noticed what looked like some light smoking as I was walking inside but I didn't think it was coming from the pool. Five minutes later the entire pool is cloudy to the point where I can't see the bottom.

The FC/TC was 2.0, ph 7.6, TA 100ppm.

Could I have some bad chlorine? I buy the gold jugs from Pinch A Penny. The store said this just happens sometimes and to add some muriatic acid. I've never experienced this and I've never actually had my pool naturally turn cloudy for the past two years.

Thanks

Bill

A couple things come to mind:
- Was the bleach regular/plain bleach? No splashless, scented, or anything fancy like that?
- What is your current CH level? Sometimes when the CH is high, adding bleach can cause a clouding effect. Lowering the pH down to around 7.2 tends to help in those cases.

Next, you might want to post all of your test results next just so we can review everything together at once. Hopefully you are testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit?

Maybe others replies will follow.

I don't use bleach. The price for Sodium Hypochlorite is fairly low here. I think it is 10.5%.

I use a Taylor K-2006C.

Calcium Hardness is always high and 420ppm. I don't have a water softener and have hard water. CA is 40 ppm.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I was overly concerned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.