Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added chlorine - instantly cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Added chlorine - instantly cloudy

Hello everyone,

My pool water was very clear before adding about 1.5 gallons of chlorine today. I thought I noticed what looked like some light smoking as I was walking inside but I didn't think it was coming from the pool. Five minutes later the entire pool is cloudy to the point where I can't see the bottom.

The FC/TC was 2.0, ph 7.6, TA 100ppm.

Could I have some bad chlorine? I buy the gold jugs from Pinch A Penny. The store said this just happens sometimes and to add some muriatic acid. I've never experienced this and I've never actually had my pool naturally turn cloudy for the past two years.

Thanks

Bill
    12,000 Gallon - in-ground, Hayward cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Added chlorine - instantly cloudy

I've had certain jugs of chlorine/bleach turn cloudy white when poured into my pool. I don't know why, but it usually clears up pretty fast.
    17,500 gallon 18x36 gunite pool
    Hayward super II 1.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter
    Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG 35K, Raypak R6350TI-E HeatPump
    Solar cover, Loop Lok winter Cover
    Artisian Antigua hot tub, Polk Atrium 4's

3. Back To Top    #3

A couple things come to mind:
    - Was the bleach regular/plain bleach? No splashless, scented, or anything fancy like that?
    - What is your current CH level? Sometimes when the CH is high, adding bleach can cause a clouding effect. Lowering the pH down to around 7.2 tends to help in those cases.

Next, you might want to post all of your test results next just so we can review everything together at once. Hopefully you are testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit?

Maybe others replies will follow.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't use bleach. The price for Sodium Hypochlorite is fairly low here. I think it is 10.5%.

I use a Taylor K-2006C.

Calcium Hardness is always high and 420ppm. I don't have a water softener and have hard water. CA is 40 ppm.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I was overly concerned.
    12,000 Gallon - in-ground, Hayward cartridge filter