Changing Sand in Filter?

Beanie

Jun 20, 2008
North Carolina
Hello
I am just curious as to how long you can go before changing the sand in a sand filter for an above ground pool? I was thinking it was 2 years, is that correct? I don't have any problems, I just wanted to know.

Also, do you have to buy the sand at a pool dealer store? Is there a cheaper alternative? Thanks for any help!

I know when my filter was installed, the installers told me it would last for several years, but that I may have to add sand on occasion. They showed me how to make a tent out of cardboard to cover the center hole when doing it.

This year, I replaced my sand (third season) because I needed to inspect my laterals. It was no small task to remove all that sand and replace it. I have heard many people say that 'dirty' well used sand filters much better than new... and judging by my battle this year, I would say they are probably correct! So, I would think that if you aren't having any problems, don't change it out.

I've heard people say that sand needs to be changed every 4 years. In my opinion even if the sand does start to lose it's sharp edges I don't think it matters much. Up until recently the sand we had in our filter was over 20 years old, it was actually used in more than one filter. Recently when the laterals cracked from age we replaced the filter and used a glass-pak that I received for free as a promo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.