tile and grout question

bunnyh

Apr 24, 2017
Southport/NC
We are purchasing a house with an in ground galvanized steel pool with a vinyl liner- but it is sitting kind of above ground with decking. On one side is an infinity edge that spills about 3 and 1/2 feet down into a basin- the length there is around 20 feet.This side is tiled. We had a pool inspection and one of the items that came up is the discoloration of the tile and grouting. the inspector said the grout has been compromised in several areas and is causing the steel to rust which is leaching out. Now he is saying that the grout can probably be repaired although he said it would not be an easy job. but my question is how do we know how much rust has occurred on the steel? and won't it just continue to rust under the tile? Shouldn't the tile be removed, the rust on the steel treated and then retiled? There is quite a bit of discoloration along the whole wall, so it is not a small job.

Shouldn't the tile be removed, the rust on the steel treated and then retiled? There is quite a bit of discoloration along the whole wall, so it is not a small job.

Yes to fix it right. You can use Por-15 paint on the rusted steel to seal the rust. It is used on submarines.

you can remove a small area and look at how bad the rust is....

to regrout the existing ground needs to be ground out and then replaced with a grout specific to under water applications.

Should I go [emoji102] for my tiles on the pool floor? [emoji4]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.