Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Music by the pool. Ideas?

1. Back To Top    #1

Music by the pool. Ideas?

We are in the middle of our pool build and starting to think about how we get music outside. Especially with Fathers day coming up

We at sonos newbies(last 4 months) and really love it inside. We currently only have 3 speakers inside. We have a screened in porch but its up 7 steps and we would need to have it on pretty loud to hear down by the pool.

ideas, thoughts?
    Concrete freeform 20x38. 3-7ft depth. 18in raised 7ft round spa with spillway, 25LF of 21 raised stone wall with (1) sheer decent. Jumping rock. Beige travertine bullnose coping and travertine patio. Carribean blue Pebble tec. 6ft tanning ledge with umbrella and 2 bubblers.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Music by the pool. Ideas?

7000k Viking fiberglass Bermuda, Sand filter w/glass, Pentair SuperfloVS, Pentair IC20 swg
    Raypak 106k, Dolphin s-200, Taylor k-2006c, Taylor k-1766, Speedstir, Little Giant cover pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

We started down the SONOS path a few years ago and we are up to ten!

We have three speakers outside under cover of roofs on porches and in the pool hut. They stay outside mostly year round. Sometimes we'll take them in for winter. They are fully protected from rain. But, not the 11 degree super freeze we had last winter.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    We started down the SONOS path a few years ago and we are up to ten!

We have three speakers outside under cover of roofs on porches and in the pool hut. They stay outside mostly year round. Sometimes we'll take them in for winter. They are fully protected from rain. But, not the 11 degree super freeze we had last winter.
    Do you know if you can add outdoor speakers to Sonos?
    Concrete freeform 20x38. 3-7ft depth. 18in raised 7ft round spa with spillway, 25LF of 21 raised stone wall with (1) sheer decent. Jumping rock. Beige travertine bullnose coping and travertine patio. Carribean blue Pebble tec. 6ft tanning ledge with umbrella and 2 bubblers.

5. Back To Top    #5

They make an amp that connects to the sonos network that you can connect outdoor speakers to. I know a few folks who went that route because they had to use outdoor speakers.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by lucas33 View Post
    Do you know if you can add outdoor speakers to Sonos?
    You can hardwire outdoor speakers to a Sonos connect amp and then use Play 1,3 or 5 as needed provided you have outlets around your pool/property.

Salty
    20X40 30,000 gal. Vinyl, AquaPlus Automation w/ T-15 SWG & AquaConnect, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, ProSeries S310T2 Filter, H Series 400FDN Heater, Sense/Dispense with Stenner Pump, ColorLogic X 3, TigerShark RC990, ​Borates, TF-100 test kit, K-1766 & Speed Stir Finally done! Well Almost

7. Back To Top    #7

We have one Sonos amp hard wired to two Bose outdoor speakers. Love our Sonos whole house system.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

8. Back To Top    #8

Sonos Connect Amp wired to Definitive Technology AW6500 sounds incredible. These speakers' bass response benefits from being mounted under eaves, overhangs, near corners, etc. Ours are 14' up and still sound fantastic. Wired the pergola for 4 but haven't moved beyond a single pair.

https://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Te...hnology+AW6500

Lots of speaker choices but love Sonos.
    25k IG / Plaster / Built Jul'16 / Spa with Spillway into Pool / Originally filled with trucked in city water, maintaining level with rain water / Polaris 280 Sweep / Jandy Pro Series EPump a& CV 580 Cartridge Filter / Aquacal Heat Pump / AquaLink Control Panel w/PDA / TF-100 Test Kit / 2 Yellow Labs swimmin' all the time

9. Back To Top    #9

You definitely want to run some speaker wire in conduit to wherever you want to place speakers, and run the other end into the house where you can plug in a Sonos Connect Amp, as others have mentioned. We are currently doing the same thing with our build, only using the Bose version of Sonos (Soundtouch). We have the amps (3) in my basement with speaker wire running out of the house. I have two pairs of Bose 251 speakers mounted on the side of the house, and have conduit running underground out to the back side of the pool where I will connect a pair of Bose FreeSpace 51 speakers, the ones you can partially bury in the ground.

I would definitely go this route seeing how you already have some Sonos products. Get any nice pair of outdoor speakers and figure out where you want to place them and run speaker wire. Definitive Technologies make a really good outdoor speaker, like the AW6500 mentioned above (my neighbor has a pair of these running off a Sonos Connect Amp and they sound amazing, as good if not better than my Bose 251s) as do many others. Determine if you want something on the ground (Bose FreeSpace 51, or rock style speaker), or mounted on a structure or under an eave (Bose 251, Definitive AW6500, etc.) and get the speaker wire run there.
    Inground vinyl 23'x40' Aspen shape, ~27K gallons, Sta-Rite Intellipro 2 VST Pump, Sta-Rite System:3 Mod DE Filter (60 sq ft), Hybrid In-Floor System (Paramount Valve with Caretaker Heads), AquaComfort Heat Pump, 3x Savi Melody Sol 28W LED Lights, Pentair IC60 SWCG, EasyTouch Automation with ScreenLogic, TF-100 test kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

I use an (Alexa ) Echo Dot
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01DFKC2...ods_fs_aucc_bt

Connected to 2 Acoustic Research Bluetooth Wireless Speaker, Black (Refurbished)
    by Acoustic Research
    Link: http://a.co/bV4XXFG
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

11. Back To Top    #11

matters where ur budget is, but. . . i think if you want sound directly around the pool you want rock speakers depending on ur space size. if it is a very large space and you got a nice budget you can go the multiple satellite array. . . examples would be:

Outdoor

or the new triad array:

GARDEN ARRAY GA4 SAT Triad Speakers Online

either setup would need an amp to power them and then that amp can hook directly up to any sonos unit that is a preamp. meaning it doesn't have a builtin amp. you need to supply the amp. i say you supply the amp cause these arrays need some power behind them.

that would be top tier budget.

next would be rock speakers. 2 larger ones if the area is small enough to get proper coverage.

next would be moving to speakers hung on the house eaves or on a structure close to the pool, but having speakers in a covered porch won't reach. i have 4 speakers mounted up in the ceiling in my outdoor porch. open on all sides and to hear them in the yard when i'm working out there you have to put em up. i know now that i'm doign the pool that zone is deff not large enough for when out at the pool and splashing and people talking.

just some ideas.
    35x23/20 free form gunite 3.5-6 feet water. approx. 20,000 gallons. no spa or water features. 2 skim, 2 ret, floor ret, floor return. 2 inch solid. suction cleaning line. 1.5 inch solid. super blue diamond brite. NPT Gemstone Blue 2x2 with custom waterjet cut Disney Mickey markers. all pentair equipment. master temp 300,000 BTU. de 60. inteliflo 3.0 VS. swg ic40. 3 globrite LED lights. easy touch 4 with screen logic. tf-100/ salt kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Since you've already invested in Sonos inside it's probably easier to stick with that. We are just in the process of determining our outdoor sound. I ended up not using sonos inside, I went with DTS Play-Fi Play-Fi which is a newer whole house audio similar to sonos but different audio brands offer products with play-fi built in so you aren't stuck with one expensive brand. You need good internet for play-fi, so I went with eero eero - Finally, WiFi that works to strengthen my signal.
    Embassy 18 x 52 Elite Sea AG, Doughboy Skimmer, Black Diamond Filter 1.5hp, Intex Saltwater System Model #ECO6110, Polaris 65 "Dory", TF100, 2001 Hotsprings Landmark Hot Tub
    Pool Thread: New pool build Backyard: Our backyard paradise is almost complete!!; Added TIC gs4 8 dvc speaker....love my sound system!

13. Back To Top    #13

It would be nice to have a hard wired set if building, but since ours was here when we moved in last year I opted for a pair of UE Megaboom BT speakers. For a big space they sure do fill it nicely.

14. Back To Top    #14

Jnitzy,

The Megaboom is one of the options I've been kicking around as well. Just curious on the performance of them. Battery, sound quality, BT range, durability etc. Do you have a separate phone/ipad that you use for them? Any insight is appreciated.
    Started pool build in June. 24,000 gallon gunite free form, TA-60 filter, Raypak 399K BTU heater, IC60, Pentair VS

15. Back To Top    #15

Couldn't resist.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

LOL!!! My neighbors do this from time to time, too bad we don't really get along and they do this typically late on a Sunday... so most neighbors aren't too pleased!
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

I have multiple (11) SONOS speakers inside our home and love them. I am also a beta tester for the SONOS system and I have learned much. I can say without a doubt SONOS is the best, most reliable and versatile solution I have come across...at least for me. I also have the Echo (1) and Echo dots (2). These are great low cost and versatile solutions. Sound from the Echo is much better than the Echo dot. Yes SONOS are expensive but they sound great inside. I will probably get a SONOS Play5 and take it out by the pool when needed. Both the SONOS and Echo have to be plugged in and I would not leave them in the elements....hope this helps!
    Cliff, IG, 22K gal, Pentair WF 2HP 2 Speed Pump, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, Hayward PL Plus Pool Management, SWG T Cell-15, 2 LED Hayward Color Logic 4.0 Lights, Water Features, Diamond Brite Black Onyx pool finish, TF-100 Test Kit, PoolMath App, Dolphin S200 Robot (Phin). Northlake, TX New Pool Build
    I support TFP Forums ♥ Has the info saved you $? You can support too!

18. Back To Top    #18

Any inside scoop as to when Echo/Alexa will be fully integrated into Sonos system?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Woodyp...I had to sign a confidential agreement so I have nothing specific. I can tell you they are working it now
    Cliff, IG, 22K gal, Pentair WF 2HP 2 Speed Pump, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, Hayward PL Plus Pool Management, SWG T Cell-15, 2 LED Hayward Color Logic 4.0 Lights, Water Features, Diamond Brite Black Onyx pool finish, TF-100 Test Kit, PoolMath App, Dolphin S200 Robot (Phin). Northlake, TX New Pool Build
    I support TFP Forums ♥ Has the info saved you $? You can support too!

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

I just installed the $35 dollar Google Chromecast Audio dongle to my old school vintage AMP in my pool house and am thrilled to be able to cast wireless music and control the volume etc from my phone or laptop.

Sonos is good but for $35 bucks at Best Buy - this thing works great so far.

Plugged right into the RCA connectors on my stereo and synced up - downloaded APP and then you can CAST Pandora, Spotift, your own Google Music or whatever.

B
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100