SLAM - salt water pool

Aug 4, 2011
It looks like i have a sever algae problem in opening my salt water pool. I opened it a couple weeks ago and it has been cold and rainy ever since. I opened the auto cover yesterday and the slopes are covered with a brown something. If i brush it it looks like a white slime floating. I'm getting ready to start the slam process but have a couple questions.

1) Is it any different with a salt water pool vs chlorine? I had a chlorine pool before and did the process a couple times. Just making sure there isn't anything i need to watch for with the salt water.

2) should i turn the salt generator off?

3) should i brush the algae off the bottom to keep it stirred up and filtering?

4) should i vacuum to waste instead of letting it filter it out.

Thanks for any help!

Good morning! I'll get right to your questions:
1 - No. Just ensure your SLAM FC level is correct based on your current CYA. Make sure to test CYA and pH before beginning. PH should be about 7.2-7.4.
2 - Yes; use just regular bleach
3 - Absolutely. Keep that stuff moving so it can get to the filter
4 - You certainly can for bulk junk. Might be good in the beginning. But dead algae will eventually go to the filter. Remember numerous backwashes and filter to waste can lower levels (CYA, FC. etc); so follow-up periodically.

Hope that helps.

..... Is it any different with a salt water pool vs chlorine? I had a chlorine pool before and did the process a couple times. Just making sure there isn't anything i need to watch for with the salt water.
If you are using a SWG you have a chlorine pool. Salt is not a sanitizer. The SWG creates the chlorine from the salt instead of you adding it manually.

If you have simply added salt to your pool for the 'feel' (no SWG), then how do you currently sanitize the pool?

If you are using a SWG you have a chlorine pool. Salt is not a sanitizer. The SWG creates the chlorine from the salt instead of you adding it manually.

If you have simply added salt to your pool for the 'feel' (no SWG), then how do you currently sanitize the pool?

sorry, should have been more specific. i do have a SWG. i understand the SWG creates the cholorine. I just wasn't sure if there was anything different about SLAMing since i have the SWG. I didn't want to mess up any of my equipment.

From my view, I'm not sure if that is organic related or perhaps calcium related. You have a vinyl pool so you normally don't worry about CH, but it gets really high and pH is off, CH can do some weird things in the water. Also, if you ever added any winterization or other supplemental products to the water that could be it. You have an SWG, and sometimes the initial start of the SWG can cause abrupt chemical changes between products,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.