Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM - salt water pool

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM - salt water pool

It looks like i have a sever algae problem in opening my salt water pool. I opened it a couple weeks ago and it has been cold and rainy ever since. I opened the auto cover yesterday and the slopes are covered with a brown something. If i brush it it looks like a white slime floating. I'm getting ready to start the slam process but have a couple questions.

1) Is it any different with a salt water pool vs chlorine? I had a chlorine pool before and did the process a couple times. Just making sure there isn't anything i need to watch for with the salt water.

2) should i turn the salt generator off?

3) should i brush the algae off the bottom to keep it stirred up and filtering?

4) should i vacuum to waste instead of letting it filter it out.

Thanks for any help!
    Jeremiah Hough

22,000 gallon, vinyl liner, chlorine, with auto cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM - salt water pool

Good morning! I'll get right to your questions:
    1 - No. Just ensure your SLAM FC level is correct based on your current CYA. Make sure to test CYA and pH before beginning. PH should be about 7.2-7.4.
    2 - Yes; use just regular bleach
    3 - Absolutely. Keep that stuff moving so it can get to the filter
    4 - You certainly can for bulk junk. Might be good in the beginning. But dead algae will eventually go to the filter. Remember numerous backwashes and filter to waste can lower levels (CYA, FC. etc); so follow-up periodically.

Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome. Thanks for the quick response. Does that sound like algae to you? Water is clear. The bottom is just covered.
    Jeremiah Hough

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by miahhough View Post
    Awesome. Thanks for the quick response. Does that sound like algae to you? Water is clear. The bottom is just covered.
    The "white slime floating" would be enough for me to start a SLAM. If it's not algae, it'll clear up really fast and pass the OCLT in no time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by miahhough View Post
    ..... Is it any different with a salt water pool vs chlorine? I had a chlorine pool before and did the process a couple times. Just making sure there isn't anything i need to watch for with the salt water.
    If you are using a SWG you have a chlorine pool. Salt is not a sanitizer. The SWG creates the chlorine from the salt instead of you adding it manually.

If you have simply added salt to your pool for the 'feel' (no SWG), then how do you currently sanitize the pool?
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    If you are using a SWG you have a chlorine pool. Salt is not a sanitizer. The SWG creates the chlorine from the salt instead of you adding it manually.

If you have simply added salt to your pool for the 'feel' (no SWG), then how do you currently sanitize the pool?
    sorry, should have been more specific. i do have a SWG. i understand the SWG creates the cholorine. I just wasn't sure if there was anything different about SLAMing since i have the SWG. I didn't want to mess up any of my equipment.
    Jeremiah Hough

7. Back To Top    #7

POOL 1.jpg

Here is what I'm getting off the bottom of the pool. Algae?
    Jeremiah Hough

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    The "white slime floating" would be enough for me to start a SLAM. If it's not algae, it'll clear up really fast and pass the OCLT in no time.
    Ever seen this? Algae?
    POOL 1.jpg
    Jeremiah Hough

9. Back To Top    #9

From my view, I'm not sure if that is organic related or perhaps calcium related. You have a vinyl pool so you normally don't worry about CH, but it gets really high and pH is off, CH can do some weird things in the water. Also, if you ever added any winterization or other supplemental products to the water that could be it. You have an SWG, and sometimes the initial start of the SWG can cause abrupt chemical changes between products,
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!