Diverter valve makes noises; filter psi rising/flow decrease

Jun 22, 2009
Two separate issues, I don't think they're related.

My diverter valve makes a loud noise like it's a clogged vacuum. This only happens in the "filter" position (it has 6 positions). The handle also visibly moves up and down on its on depending on what speed I have the pump on. It also leaks out the waste line in the filter position. Do I just need to replace some pieces? I'm not sure on the model, a side sticker was pulled off. The only number I see is SM10-2D.E. Pentair.

The filter (DE) slowly gains pressure while filtering, and eventually there is little to no flow coming out the returns. The pump will lose prime as well, it takes a while. I assume it's just fighting algae and getting clogged (the water's a bit cloudy), and this is a pretty common complaint on here, but I'm just mentioning it in case it has anything to do with the diverter valve. Any input would be grrr8.

Inground 20x40x3-6'
DE filter
Intelliflo pump (it's a beautiful thing)
Chlorinator (stopped using due to my old DE-grids shredding and constantly clogging it up((didn't know what it was at first)), but may start using salt again now that the problem has been fixed)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.