How can I break my 2003 Dolphin 2000 robot cleaner so I can buy a new one?

cehmtx

Jun 22, 2013
Bowling Green KY
I have been casually reading posts about the new (post-2012) Maytronic cleaners and I want one! I don't NEED one, but I think I do.
Mine is a bag model and takes 6 hours to do a bang-up job of cleaning. No remote but with a caddy. One replacement bag bought in 2011 just in case my original bag blew a hole. (It hasn't.)
The bag cleaning is tedious, but still goes faster than vacuuming the pool and wasting water and chemicals.
The filter cartridge in the newer models sounds like manna. Must these ever be replaced if proper cleaning care is exercised?
Just interested in experiences.

This forum is and has been very informative. It has also caused several strong discussions between the few pool stores and myself in Bowling Green KY. Let's say there are differences of opinions regarding pools and their maintance.;)
Thanks to all.

I think a craig's list or one of those local sales adds like offer up could get you a nice down payment on the new cleaner. No guilt involved!

I think in the future there will be 3 things you don't discuss in public. Politics, religion, and pool care!

Cartridges arent all they are cracked up to be honestly. I had cartridge and it wasn't all that easier than cleaning the bag and the bag tends to hold a lot more. As the other person said, you could sell yours although I don't think you would get that much its still better than breaking it and getting nothing. If you really want to break it, a pretty sure fire way is leave it baking in the sun, then drop it in the pool. Couple of days of that likely will mess up the seals.

I have been casually reading posts about the new (post-2012) Maytronic cleaners and I want one! I don't NEED one, but I think I do.
Mine is a bag model and takes 6 hours to do a bang-up job of cleaning. No remote but with a caddy. One replacement bag bought in 2011 just in case my original bag blew a hole. (It hasn't.)
The bag cleaning is tedious, but still goes faster than vacuuming the pool and wasting water and chemicals.
The filter cartridge in the newer models sounds like manna. Must these ever be replaced if proper cleaning care is exercised?
Just interested in experiences.

This forum is and has been very informative. It has also caused several strong discussions between the few pool stores and myself in Bowling Green KY. Let's say there are differences of opinions regarding pools and their maintance.;)
Thanks to all.

Cartridges arent all they are cracked up to be honestly. I had cartridge and it wasn't all that easier than cleaning the bag and the bag tends to hold a lot more. As the other person said, you could sell yours although I don't think you would get that much its still better than breaking it and getting nothing. If you really want to break it, a pretty sure fire way is leave it baking in the sun, then drop it in the pool. Couple of days of that likely will mess up the seals.

Rob,

I too originally felt that the cartridge filters were hard to clean and said so here. The cartridges looked fragile to me, so I was cleaning them under a kitchen sink style spray hose. It did a terrible job and took forever.

Someone here (Devin Dave, I think) told me to use a high pressure sprayer on the end of a garden hose and that it would not hurt the filters.

So I tried it and it works like a charm. The filters are a lot tougher than I had thought. I've been doing this for a year now and the cartridges still look perfect.

To keep from getting wet, I built a very simple jig that holds the cartridges so I can stand back a few feet when I clean them.

I too would like a new one, but your trick has yet to work for me. My robot has been outside 24/7 either working, or on the deck, for about three years and the darn thing will just not die... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Maybe it's the Florida sun? My old blue diamond broke every two to 3 months until I just left the thing in the pool. Motors kept going because the seals kept blowing. A lot of people like the cartridge. I just think the bag is just as easy to hose off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.