Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Install and Plumbing Re-design Check

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Install and Plumbing Re-design Check

I'm installing an SWG (Aqua Rite) and was hoping to get some eyes and feedback on my plumbing design. The existing setup is unfortunately 1.5" pipe to/from the pool. The existing plumbing is bad on the suction side and with the SWG/flow switch/new check valve being added to the return side I decided to re-design it entirely. The pump is a Hayward Super Pump with a variable speed motor I added last year and the filter is a Perflex EC75 DE filter.

Here is my design:

swg-plumbing.jpg

I have a few specific questions:

(1) is there any problem going from the pump discharge output directly into a Jandy 3-way valve? The valve is for draining the pool. I was attempting to eliminate as many 90's as possible by raising the filter and this is the most direct route. I wasn't sure if the pump output going directly into a tee (the Jandy 3-way) could cause some turbulence or backflow back into the pump and cause problems. btw - the current setup has the filter on the concrete pad and the connection goes up, over, down, then over. All street elbows, no unions. ugh!

(2) can the Jandy check valve be vertical with flow going down? I think it fits with the way it is: horizontal directly at the output of the filter, but could fit better vertically.

(3) I believe this was answered elsewhere on the forum, but wanted to verify: the SWG flow switch is vertical before a 90 before the SWG cell. Is that acceptable? It is not one of the "choices" in the Hayward manual, but it meets the criteria of 12" straight run before the flow switch.

Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Install and Plumbing Re-design Check

Quote Originally Posted by termiflyer View Post

(3) I believe this was answered elsewhere on the forum, but wanted to verify: the SWG flow switch is vertical before a 90 before the SWG cell. Is that acceptable? It is not one of the "choices" in the Hayward manual, but it meets the criteria of 12" straight run before the flow switch.

Thanks in advance!
    The flow switch must be in a horizontal run.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ckk81 View Post
    The flow switch must be in a horizontal run.
    Ah, the manual confused me:

Capture.jpg

In my mind I thought this was a side view and 3 was showing a vertical install. I'll change my design to put it horizontal.

Any thoughts on having the Jandy 3-way right at the pump discharge outlet?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by termiflyer View Post

Any thoughts on having the Jandy 3-way right at the pump discharge outlet?
    I don't see why it would be an issue.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater