Pool vacuum/ DE Powder problem

Apr 30, 2017
Camden/DE
This is my 2 yrs with this inground pool. First year was terrible Bank on property and did not cover the pool. I had to replace the pool system. So everything is new. My problem this year is my pool is cloudy. I have been working on it for 7 days now. Pump running non stop and shocked three times in a week. Still no free chlorine reading. Today i was trying vacuum the cloudy pool but my pump was having trouble priming. After that I backwashed and put DE powder in and it blow direct out of the other side. I think DE is getting in my pool.

Wel;come! :wave:

You have a couple separate problems.

One: algae. A thick green pool will eat chlorine about as fast as you can pour it in. 3 megadoses in a week won't do much to kill it. Depending on what form of chlorine you've been adding, you might even be making the situation worse by raising the CYA level. Rather than type out several pages of instructions, I'll refer you to Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis and SLAM Process Pay close attention to the part about the right test kit.

Two: DE getting into pool. A few possibilities there. A) you loaded the filter up with algae so bad that you clogged it and filter pressure climbed so high that you crushed a screen and it split. B) You didn't backwash long enough to get all the loose DE out the backwash port and when you returned to filter it went back in the pool. C) Your backwash valve has developed an internal leak and you're bypassing the filter and sending the stuff you added straight back into the pool.

I see a filter teardown and inspection as the first step. DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial should give you some help. You might also look on youtube. Sometimes there are videos that show your exact filter disassembled and cleaned.

Once the filter is back together and running, then you can worry about cleaning the swamp. Without good circulation and filtration, no amount of chemicals will clear it. You need chlorine and filtration.

I suggest you order a proper test kit now, so you'll have it when you need it. It will also help us hugely if you fill out your signature. All we know at this point is that the pool is inground and you have a DE filter. What surface? How big? Saltwater generator or not? What we need to know to answer your questions explains what we need and how to post it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.