Merlin Smart Mesh Cover

Feb 23, 2016
Southern NJ
Does anyone have a Merlin Smart Mesh Cover? If so, how does the water look when you open it? This is my first season with it and I'm curious if pollen/etc. got in there. On another note, I have one fastener that keeps coming undone. Does anyone know why that could be happening? I'm thinking maybe the bolt isn't up high enough? The builder installed it.

I have one of these covers. The water's a green swampy mess when I open because of the ridiculous amount of pollen and other tree debris we have (tons of trees and shrubs around pool). The pollen settles on the cover then when it rains it goes through. Doubt you'll find a mesh cover that will prevent this. Tree debris typically gets blown up under the edge of the cover and eventually makes its way in (but not much). I've thought about shoving pool noodles under the edge of the cover to prevent this but decided it wasn't worth the effort because it's really not a big issue.

With a mesh cover in general you're going to get this. Only way I know of to avoid it is to get a solid cover or open before pollen falls, but then you run into other issues. It's really the nature of the beast with a mesh cover.

Overall, I'm a fan of the cover. You just have to realize that pollen is measured in micrometers (typical pollen spores around 50 micrometers - that's really stinking small) and if the openings in pool covers were small enough to capture pollen, they would become clogged ridiculously quickly and you'd no longer have a mesh cover.

I have a mesh cover similar to what you are talking about.......two words "Never Again"

Green swampy mess is what I have. I'm on week 3 of my SLAM and it's been a lot of work.

I have a mesh cover and heavy tree cover to boot (oak trees) Sure I get debris in the pool that strains through the cover plus a few leaves that blow under the edges and end up in the water, pollen that never ends. But my pool always opens up clear because I keep close tabs on the water temp. In the fall I put the cover on as soon as the leaves start to fall, but leave the pump running a few hrs. a day until the water temp gets below 60 and stays there. In the spring I hook up the pump a month before I pull the cover, the water is usually in the 50's and balance the water and run a few hrs a day until the oak trees have quit dropping there mess. Then I pull the cover and vacuum. Warm temp. and organic material in the water with no chlorine will give you a green mess every time. But it doesn't have to be that way with a mesh cover.

I have a mesh cover and heavy tree cover to boot (oak trees) Sure I get debris in the pool that strains through the cover plus a few leaves that blow under the edges and end up in the water, pollen that never ends. But my pool always opens up clear because I keep close tabs on the water temp. In the fall I put the cover on as soon as the leaves start to fall, but leave the pump running a few hrs. a day until the water temp gets below 60 and stays there. In the spring I hook up the pump a month before I pull the cover, the water is usually in the 50's and balance the water and run a few hrs a day until the oak trees have quit dropping there mess. Then I pull the cover and vacuum. Warm temp. and organic material in the water with no chlorine will give you a green mess every time. But it doesn't have to be that way with a mesh cover.

+1 The post above is spot on. You beat me to the punch. Same regarding trees for us...all cars are yellow cars now. Clear opening 4 years in a row so far with a Merlin Smart Mesh. I can manage my pool a litter differently since I have an autocover, but the main point is open early/close late. For me in MD that means around November 1st and April 1st. Too many people think opening early means a few weeks before swim season. It's too late by then.

Any update on how the “smart mesh” is working for you? I’m consider one to replace my solid cover. The new smart mesh by Merlin claims to filter up to 40microns and 100% shade.

Interesting replies here. My cover from the previous owner (merlin smart mesh as well)I believe is probably 20+ years old and I have had off and on issues with green openings. However, this year I tried to keep leaves off (it sags in the middle) and had a better opening. Biggest issue I have is, like others is debris getting blown in "under" the cover. Current cover is becoming transparent, has some holes and really is past it's useful life.

Anyhow quote is $2800 installed with "free" closing this year for a new smart mesh and few hundred cheaper than the duramesh. I chalk this up to the cost of owning a pool but wanted to do a little research before throwing out that kind of money.

I have a Merlin, and before that a Meyco. I wouldn't want to go back to a solid cover. For one thing, having to work with those water bags all around the sides of the solid cover to hold it in place got old after about 10 years or so. Then, the best part was when the solid cover ripped while trying to pull it off - so the 'swamp' that collected on top quickly dumped into the pool. The solid cover DID, as I recall, keep the water nicer than the mesh does, but with the (much) lighter weight of the Merlin, ease of folding it up into a fairly compact bundle to store during the summer, plus - the best part - attaching it to the deck with the anchors (can this even be done with a solid cover?), I'll keep using them for as long as I have the pool. It goes flat across the edges of the coping and so doesn't collect any debris or water. Nice, clean look too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.