Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Merlin Smart Mesh Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Merlin Smart Mesh Cover

Does anyone have a Merlin Smart Mesh Cover? If so, how does the water look when you open it? This is my first season with it and I'm curious if pollen/etc. got in there. On another note, I have one fastener that keeps coming undone. Does anyone know why that could be happening? I'm thinking maybe the bolt isn't up high enough? The builder installed it.
    New construction- April 2016
    1st time inground pool owners. 20x40 oasis shaped vinyl liner. Gli gerano 28 mil liner. Sr smith typhoon slide. Pentair 5g color changing light.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Merlin Smart Mesh Cover

I have one of these covers. The water's a green swampy mess when I open because of the ridiculous amount of pollen and other tree debris we have (tons of trees and shrubs around pool). The pollen settles on the cover then when it rains it goes through. Doubt you'll find a mesh cover that will prevent this. Tree debris typically gets blown up under the edge of the cover and eventually makes its way in (but not much). I've thought about shoving pool noodles under the edge of the cover to prevent this but decided it wasn't worth the effort because it's really not a big issue.

With a mesh cover in general you're going to get this. Only way I know of to avoid it is to get a solid cover or open before pollen falls, but then you run into other issues. It's really the nature of the beast with a mesh cover.

Overall, I'm a fan of the cover. You just have to realize that pollen is measured in micrometers (typical pollen spores around 50 micrometers - that's really stinking small) and if the openings in pool covers were small enough to capture pollen, they would become clogged ridiculously quickly and you'd no longer have a mesh cover.
    30,000 Gallon Inground, Vinyl Liner
    DE Filter & Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair Legend Platinum w/ PB4 Booster
    Pentair Kreepy Krawler Prowler Robot

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a mesh cover similar to what you are talking about.......two words "Never Again"

Green swampy mess is what I have. I'm on week 3 of my SLAM and it's been a lot of work.
    AGP: 21' x 52" : 10,000 gallon
    100 lb. Sand Filter / 1 hp pump
    11-5 full sun

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a mesh cover and heavy tree cover to boot (oak trees) Sure I get debris in the pool that strains through the cover plus a few leaves that blow under the edges and end up in the water, pollen that never ends. But my pool always opens up clear because I keep close tabs on the water temp. In the fall I put the cover on as soon as the leaves start to fall, but leave the pump running a few hrs. a day until the water temp gets below 60 and stays there. In the spring I hook up the pump a month before I pull the cover, the water is usually in the 50's and balance the water and run a few hrs a day until the oak trees have quit dropping there mess. Then I pull the cover and vacuum. Warm temp. and organic material in the water with no chlorine will give you a green mess every time. But it doesn't have to be that way with a mesh cover.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by samt View Post
    I have a mesh cover and heavy tree cover to boot (oak trees) Sure I get debris in the pool that strains through the cover plus a few leaves that blow under the edges and end up in the water, pollen that never ends. But my pool always opens up clear because I keep close tabs on the water temp. In the fall I put the cover on as soon as the leaves start to fall, but leave the pump running a few hrs. a day until the water temp gets below 60 and stays there. In the spring I hook up the pump a month before I pull the cover, the water is usually in the 50's and balance the water and run a few hrs a day until the oak trees have quit dropping there mess. Then I pull the cover and vacuum. Warm temp. and organic material in the water with no chlorine will give you a green mess every time. But it doesn't have to be that way with a mesh cover.
    +1 The post above is spot on. You beat me to the punch. Same regarding trees for us...all cars are yellow cars now. Clear opening 4 years in a row so far with a Merlin Smart Mesh. I can manage my pool a litter differently since I have an autocover, but the main point is open early/close late. For me in MD that means around November 1st and April 1st. Too many people think opening early means a few weeks before swim season. It's too late by then.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh no, I was hoping it would have received better reviews. We got a new pool last year and we were told this was the "best" cover to get (and probably because it was the most expensive!). We have a back yard full of trees (like a forest).
    New construction- April 2016
    1st time inground pool owners. 20x40 oasis shaped vinyl liner. Gli gerano 28 mil liner. Sr smith typhoon slide. Pentair 5g color changing light.