1st real test

I finally got the new regents and did my test (TF100 kit];

FC 2.5
    cc .5
    CH 475
    TA 70
    PH 8.2
    CYA to the top of the bottle 10??

I add chlorine at night, usually enough to bring FC up to 7. I have had past problems with PH but it runs 7.5 to 8.2 Historically CH is in the 350-375 range so its high. TA looks good.

Pool is clear...

How do I lower the CH and raise the CYA.
    15,000 ig, pebble tech,sand filter,remodeled in 2007. Glendale, Az
    TF100 w SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st real test

You can add granular CYA from Walmart to achieve your desired CYA level. What is the CH of your fill water?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Your first priority should be to lower you pH down to around 7.5
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a bottle of granular and put 30 oz in a sock sitting in the skimmer. If I recall CH fill was high at 250+.

- - - Updated - - -

I used 60 oz of chlorine and am waiting a bit to lower the PH. Lower to 7.5 or 7.2??
    TF100 w SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

Just did a quick chlorine check: FC 7.5
    PH 7.2
    TF100 w SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

If your water is still crystal clear and absolutely no indications of algae or cloudiness, then a pH in the mid 7s is just fine. CH can't be lowered chemically, you have to exchange water (same as if CYA was high), so just live with 475. That's actually not bad for your area. To compensate for an elevated CH, always keep the TA and pH on the lower end of the scale (i.e. pH at 7.4-7.5), and never let the pH get over 7.8. Your TA is indeed good at 70 right now.

I don't recall what your CYA target was, but an FC of 7.5 is fine. When in doubt, always refer to the Chlorine/CYA Chart to compare. Keep a close eye on pH and FC each day and you should have a great TFP swimming season. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the reply. Did an OCLT test and the FC was 5.5. Thats of loss of 2. Is that normal? As for CYA I would like to get it up to 30-40 range.I've put approx 30 oz of stabilizer in a sock, sitting in the skimmer.
    TF100 w SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

An OCLT which produces a greater loss than 1FC indicates that you need to SLAM the pool. Did you make sure you didn't let the sun get on the pool before retesting in the morning?
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

9. Back To Top    #9

^^ I agree.^^ Losing more than 1 ppm of FC overnight is a concern. If the starting and ending FC tests were performed with no sunlight on the pool, then something in the water is eating your chlorine. The OCLT is also one of the 3 criteria for passing a "SLAM" to remove algae/organic material from the water. It's very possible that prior to receiving your TF-100, the FC remained too low (also without CYA protection) allowing algae to start. If I were you, I'd increase FC to "12" and SLAM. You already added stabilizer so that's perfect. Squeeze that sock often and it should dissolve fairly soon. Consider retesting CYA tomorrow or Weds to confirm your CYA level. If your CYA is closer to 40, increase FC to "16".

Since your water seems to still be clear to the naked eye, the organic material may not be excessive and your SLAM may be short-lived, but it's best to do it now and not take a chance. If you've never done a SLAM before, you'll see the link below in my signature. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

10. Back To Top    #10

Its 10:15pm FC 11 PH 7.2Most of the 30 oz stabilizer has dissolved. Will do another OCLT to see if the stabilizer has helped.
    TF100 w SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

retested FC at 5:30am and it was 12. Most of the stabilizer has been absorbed...
    TF100 w SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

You appear to be on the right track. BTW, no need to test pH while the FC is over 10. You can save the red drops.

13. Back To Top    #13

So I retested today after a few very busy days.

CL 14
    CC 2.5
    CA 600
    TA 70
    CYA 35
    PH 7.5

shouldn't the increase in stabilizer increas the CYA? That didn't work and now my CH is way high at 600. I will lower the water level a little using the back wash hose..

Pool is crystal clear and yes I can see the screw heads on the lower drains.

Also if someone has and idea on how to keep the wasps out of the pool!!
    TF100 w SpeedStir

14. Back To Top    #14

Based on that update, we round-up your CYA to 40 which requires an FC SLAM level of "16", so feel free to increase that now. Your CCs a re elevated which means a lot of junk is getting processed in your water. So it's important to maintain that elevated FC so the bleach can do its thing. Don't worry about the CH. Stabilizer has nothing to do with it. It's usually high in your area straight from the hose. We can discuss that and all the other readings after the SLAM. Just focus on testing FC & CC and maintaining that SLAM.

As for the wasps, if you figure that one out, please let me know.

15. Back To Top    #15

Last nite i did a CL check and it came out to 14. I added 33 oz to bring it up to 16. This morning, around 6:30 it showed cl at 16.. No loss overnight.
    TF100 w SpeedStir

16. Back To Top    #16

This morning, around 6:30 it showed cl at 16.. No loss overnight.
    That's great! So if the water is still clear and CC is 0.5 or less, then your SLAM is over and you can let the FC fall to the recommended range as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart.

17. Back To Top    #17

I guess its over YEA!!!! at 9:30 it cl increased to 18, 11:30 it has decreased to 13 but cc was 0.0... I'll check it tonight..

Thanks for all you help Texas Splash
    TF100 w SpeedStir