Panty Hose in place of skimmer sock

Yeah, I use them. The knee highs actually come in a little gum machine bubble at walmart for 33 cents a pair. Not worth wearing since they are odd colors, but they work for my pool skimmer!

I use the knee highs when I use anything in the skimmer. They're cheaper than the skimmer socks and you can get them at the grocery store instead of a pool store but they don't last as long and I don't think the mesh is quite as fine as the skimmer socks.

Just started using knee highs as skimmer socks. They work great and are easy to clean with a garden hose. We have a couple of labradors and you know what that means. I can't imagine not using them now! I bought several of the 'gumball' packaged ones at Wal-Mart and I'm still using the first pair after pouring BBB over them.
Getcha' some.

INHO there are just as good as the pool socks. I used skimmer socks 5 for $7 last year, now I am using 2 knee hight for 33 cents. They don't last as long, about 5 days vs 7 days, but they catch almost everything that the socks did. White is the best color to use because they do not have any dye.

They beat the socks out of the socks for value!

Poseidon said:
Skimmer socks: 5 for $8
Panty hose: $1.75
Asking your wife for one of her panty hose: Priceless

Of course I told her it was for the pool. She just shook her head and said "I don't even want to know".

Uhh .. just asking ... where do you stuff the rest of the panty hose so that the skimmer actually works?? :? :?
I buy the white knee high style at Wal-Mart for like 39 cents.

Hope everyone's summer is going well ...

Rangerman said:
Poseidon said:
Skimmer socks: 5 for $8
Panty hose: $1.75
Asking your wife for one of her panty hose: Priceless

Of course I told her it was for the pool. She just shook her head and said "I don't even want to know".

Uhh .. just asking ... where do you stuff the rest of the panty hose so that the skimmer actually works?? :? :?
I buy the white knee high style at Wal-Mart for like 39 cents.

Hope everyone's summer is going well ...

I cut a piece off. I had a heck of a time getting it on the skimmer basket. After that hassle, I tried a skimmer sock. Much easier. I'll try the knee highs once I go through the socks.

How do you "install" the knee high/skimmer sock? Do you just pull it over the whole basket and do you have to be sure to only pull it up the sides of the basket and not let it go over the top opening of the basket? I'm thinking of trying it with my new pool because there are a lot of trees in the neighbor's yards that shed very small buds and blossoms that my skimmer doesn't seem to catch. We just had ours finished earlier this week. Thanks.

Attachments

• Copy of July 5th 2007 024.jpg
    Copy of July 5th 2007 024.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 693

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
engteach43, you need to put the sock/pantyhose/kneehighs inside the basket and secure it around the top edge. If you put it over the outside, it could become clogged with debris and get sucked off the basket and possibly through the pipe :shock:

Nice pool! With the AZ heat I bet it will be appreciated!

Okay. When I put the knee high on that way it is stretched real tight across the top of the skimmer basket. Do I need to find a way to get the knee high to go down more into the inside of the basket? I also dropped a river rock into the basket to help keep it from popping out of the skimmer.

What if the skimmer has a handle sticking up out of the middle of the skimmer? Should I remove it, put the knee high on, then try screwing the handle back on? Does anyone have a skimmer with a handle that uses a knee high?
Couldn't you just pull the knee-high on all the way to the toe over the top of the handle and then let the excess sag inside while the rest is attached to the edge of the basket?

It would be sort of W shaped, but with the center point taller than the rest. Trust me, it'll pull down when it starts filling up with debris.

I ended up grabbing an old white cotton sock, added about pound of cya and jammed the end of the sock through one of the holes of my skimmer cover and tied a noose knot. A day later the CYA had broken down into a loose wet powder and when I squeeze it it releases it into the skimmer. It couldn't be any easier and I'll be able to reuse the sock indefinitely. So much for buying pantyhose!

Better and much cheaper than knee highs or skimmer socks...hairnets, the kind used for food workers. Price $6.00 for 100 or $18.00 for 500. At that price you just pull them out and throw them away, no rinsing or dealing with the contents.

Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Science Lab Hairnets: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

ProWorks DA-BC210 Bouffant Cap 21 Inch Disposable Polypropylene 500 caps per Case: Protective Beard Covers: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.