Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Sock

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Sock

I used the SLAM method on my pool this year. Worked great. No one helped me cover pool. I wont let that happen again. Finished process a few weeks ago.

FC 5
    PH 7.4
    TA 90
    CYA 70

I have a TF 100 test kit. CYA is a little high.
    Pool looks pretty good, have some dead algae on bottom that I should vacuum up. it appears brown like sand. I have been brushing it couple times a day to hopefully let sand filter take care of. I have added a little DE to sand filter. Concern is skimmer sock is catching green algae ? Dont see any green color in pool, am I on the verge of an algae bloom? Should perform ONCLT ?

Also sand is 8 yrs old , consider changing it ? Heard it could start channeling, also read where u can take top off and push water hose in sand gently.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Above ground 33 ft round 52 in. high
    Approx. 25000 gallons
    Hayward Dreamline Sand filter holds 250lbs sand
    Hayward CL-200 chlorinator
    Hayward 1.5 hp 67 GPM pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer Sock

That sock is talking to you! It is telling you there is still some algae in your water somewhere How often do you clean that sock? The stuff on the bottom is dead or almost dead algae. It needs to come up and out by vacuuming. I would do the OCLT just to see what it shows BUT the sock is telling you your pool is in need of another round of SLAMing.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I forgot about the sand............here is the link to doing a deep clean. Most of the time that is all you need to do to keep it going for a few hundred more years! LOL

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I clean sock about 2-3 times a day, just noticed this stuff in sock yesterday. thought it was telling me something, Thanks for the help.
    Above ground 33 ft round 52 in. high
    Approx. 25000 gallons
    Hayward Dreamline Sand filter holds 250lbs sand
    Hayward CL-200 chlorinator
    Hayward 1.5 hp 67 GPM pump

5. Back To Top    #5

To make things a little easier on you, buy some hairnets for skimmer socks. I'm amazed at what they catch and you can just pitch them in the trash and put a new one in. https://smile.amazon.com/Disposable-...ords=hair+nets

Two days of pollen that I saved my filter from

IMG_1461.jpg
    7000k Viking fiberglass Bermuda, Sand filter w/glass, Pentair SuperfloVS, Pentair IC20 swg
    Raypak 106k, Dolphin s-200, Taylor k-2006c, Taylor k-1766, Speedstir, Little Giant cover pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I understand how the filter deep clean makes one feel as if they are accomplishing something, but that's what backwash is for no? The water leaves the laterals on top and the bottom and in essence lifts the sand up and cleans it. The rinse resettles the sand into place so you then put into filter mode.

That green on the the sock sure appears to be algae, but is it possible it's also pollen? Be vary careful of socks in the spring time. They can and do become so loaded with pollen that they won't allow any water to pass thru at all.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have backwashed me filter MANY times but when I hope it always find "stuff" in the sand still. Leaves, twigs, bugs, etc.

Kim