Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First test after install and fill a cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

First test after install and fill a cloudy

This site and forum is great, glad to be on it!

First test results after install and fill:
    FC 7.0
    pH 6.8
    TA 20
    CH 150
    CYA 20
    Temp 70F

I need to raise the pH, TA, and CYA up. I'm running the pump. The water is cloudy, so I'm not sure what to do next?
    18'X33'X54" Diamond Star by Wilbar AG pool / 2HP - 2 speed pump and sand filter / 17,500 gallon city water filled / installed 4/25/17 / TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First test after install and fill a cloudy

To be clear, this is a completely fresh fill? When did you fill it?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I started Wednesday 4/26 and it was full Friday 4/29. To clarify, this is my first full test. I did a quick FC and CYA test Friday neither registered. Added 2 gallons of 10% chlorinated bleach and 2 lbs of stabilizer then.
    18'X33'X54" Diamond Star by Wilbar AG pool / 2HP - 2 speed pump and sand filter / 17,500 gallon city water filled / installed 4/25/17 / TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, you want to get the CYA up in range. And use baking soda to raise the TA up to around 70ppm and then recheck the pH
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, just tested after adding baking soda and stabilizer yesterday.

FC 4
    pH 7.2
    TA 80
    CH n/a
    CYA 40
    temp 68

I'm running the pump and seems to be a little clearer today. I'll let it run overnight and check tomorrow to see how it looks. Am I missing anything?

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you testing the CC? It is a little strange that the water is cloudy from a fresh feel. I might be inclined to raise the FC up to about 10 part per million and do the oclt test
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Did you backwash the sand filter (if you have one)after installing? That could be the source of the cloudiness together with the plaster dust!

7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!

8. Back To Top    #8

I haven't tested the CC yet. I will do that and see where it lands.

I do have a sand filter and I didn't backwash it at start up. I started it up on the filter setting. When I did that it blew a cloud of sand into the pool. There is definitely sand on the pool floor that needs to be vacuumed up. Perhaps it's getting stirred up and the source of the cloudiness?

9. Back To Top    #9

Ah, well there you go. Sounds like dust from the sand
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

You can add son DE to the Sand Filter to make it clear a little bit faster, just follow the instructions.

Felipe
    7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!