DE Filter gone - Opportunity for Change to Cartridges?

wolfjo

Apr 30, 2017
Wayne, PA
So my pool company closed after 35 years without warning. Unfortunately my DE filter is in their basement (they acid wash them over the winter) and I can't get in touch with anyone to get it back.

Taking the position that all adversity is an opportunity, I was wondering if this is a good time to switch filter methods instead of just purchasing another DE filter. I know there are now cartridge based systems that some people like better, but not sure what is best for my application. Current filter was a Pentair+ 60. My only complaint previously is about the pump noise (not VS, probably inefficient 1.5HP).

A little background about the pool: 18X35, ~5ft average, so 18K gallons. We have a retractable cover that is closed most of the time, so the pool generally requires little to no maintenance. I throw half a cup of chlorine in it every week or so to keep it around 1-2ppm. Everything else stays pretty balanced on its own. We have a lot of trees around the pool, but cover keeps most of the garbage out. I never had to backwash the DE during the season, but didn't love them taking it to clean it every year.

I was considering taking the opportunity to upgrade the pump to VS or two speed (recommendations appreciated), and potentially switching to cartridges so I can do the maintenance on them myself. It sounds from my reading like this might be personal preference, but before I consult with a few new companies I would love to have expert opinions from here first so I am well armed with good info. Can cartridge filters maintain as excellent water quality as DE in a somewhat low stress environment like this? TIA for any input!

Welcome to TFP!

My cartridge filter maintains excellent water clarity in a very high stress environment. Pics in my pool thread, link in sig.

For a pump you could use a Pentair Superflo 1.5hp variable speed pump, 342001. Or a Superflo 1hp 2 speed pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.