Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Drainage due to high levels of CYA. Water table & drain questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Drainage due to high levels of CYA. Water table & drain questions

Hi,

I'm being forced to drain my pool now because my CYA levels are 300+. I haven't changed the water significantly for 7 years and now I'm dealing with water where I can't kill algae in anymore despite high levels of chlorine. I've read the stories about pools popping out because people don't remove the hydro-static valve and had a few questions to ask in that regard.

First and foremost, I'm wondering if my water table isn't low enough that it doesn't mater to get the valve off. I'm saying this because there's a creek (actually a country drainage creek) behind my house which is as deep as my pool and water is hardly trickling in it at this point. It's hard to imagine that the water table is that high otherwise I would expect it to drain into the creek. Any thoughts about whether or not I may be missing something and it's a bad idea to drain it completely still?

I also got 2 screws off of my main drain in an attempt to remove my hydro-static valve, but for some reason I wasn't able to remove the grate after removing the 2 screws . I tried to remove it by prying it with a screwdriver to no avail and I also tried to twist it in case it was screwed in somehow to no avail. My drain looks an awful lot like this one:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Drainage due to high levels of CYA. Water table & drain questions

We error on the safe side and say to NOT drain 100% of your pool unless you have a h valve to open. You do need some CYA so.........you can leave some of your water in the pool then refill and sere where you are at.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If you have a concrete / gunite pool I would not worry about it popping up from a drain and refill. There is a lot of weight in concrete... and not a lot of water in San Jose.

You can most likely get away with draining 70% of the pool and refilling.

Also would double and triple test your CYA.

CYA can increase as of the pool chlorine tabs and other pool store powdered chlorine and shock have CYA in them.

As far as your drain cover they just have two screws and otherwise just sit ontop of the drain housing - which both are plastic. ??
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Why don't you do a partial drain followed by another partial and maybe another (say 50-60% each time) Most water rates make that the safest, most conservative way to drain. Your rates may not make that tenable
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School