Ridiculous salt price

n240sxguy

May 17, 2014
Benton, KY
Anybody else get a Doheny's catalog? Check out this salt price.
389a55530e8cd708d7dca856e92dd8e9.jpg
Maybe it's not regular salt. It says sodium chlorine. Maybe that's different than sodium chloride. [emoji848] Anyway, I had a good laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is sodium and chloride in a 1 to 1 ratio. It’s perfectly balanced. You’re getting 1.8696764 x 10^26 sodium atoms and 1.8696764 x 10^26 chloride atoms.

I’m surprised that they can sell it so cheap.

Note: You really only need the chloride atoms. See if they will sell just the chloride atoms for 1/2 price. Actually, the chloride weighs about 24.26 lbs. per bag. So, a fair price for just the chloride would be about $30.32.

For your pool starting with no salt, you would need about $900.00 worth of salt. That's crazy.

A long time ago, salt was worth that much. Maybe the company has been in business for thousands of years and haven't kept up with the new prices.

Well, this is going to be less funny than everyone else's reply, but I know the real reason. Shipping. I am guessing they offer free shipping on orders over a certain amount, and it isn't cheap to ship a 40lb bag over UPS, so they have to factor that in to the price. It's the same reason those catalogues don't sell liquid chlorine. Or they do if you search deep enough but it is something like $5/gal and the minimum is 100 gallons.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I figured that was the reason. I tell you what I've seen recently when shopping online that really annoys me; they'll have a crazy low price listed for the item you're looking for, then when you get to the product its on a drop down menu with a bunch of other products and each one has a (+$x.xx) next to it. Bunch of bait and switch, click baiting scammers. I won't buy anything from a business that uses scam tactics like that. Let em all burn.

Note that only adding the chloride will work for aquarite but it will confuse other SWGs that use a conductivity meter to test salinity.

Aquarite is specific to chloride but conductivity meters will get a low salinity reading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tried that brand once (but not at that price! Lol). There are two reasons I wouldn't use that salt even if it was cheap:

1. When I added it to the pool a grey scum rose to the surface from the salt...yuck! It did go away, but I've never seen that happen with other brands.

2. It says it has stain fighters, but no one at the company could tell me what is added as a stain fighter. I don't like adding mystery chemicals to my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.